Active Topics

Hi,

I have searched but have been unable to find out if anybody has been successful in doing the following yet.

I have an N800 with OS2007, with the Navicore GPS solution; I use it every day, as I've moved into the middle of nowhere, and I am varying my route to work (about 90 miles) each day so I can get the best route eventually. I completely rely on sat nav at the moment.

Has anybody yet upgraded their N800 to OS2008 and used their navicore key to use the new wayfinder software, and have they found it at least as reliable as the os2007/navicore solution?

Does the wayfinder allow map and software updates free of charge, as the current navicore solution currently does?

...secondary question, does anybody know if the N810 will fit into the N800 car mount? even if it doesn't fit snugly, would it fit with the help of some bluetack/string/?

Thanks very much!

Martin

Yep I did the upgrade yesterday.

I don't think the N810 will fit in the N800 mount. But I thought that the N810 comes with a car mount?

The Following User Says Thank You to evanjfraser For This Useful Post:
Thanks Evan,

So how does the wayfinder app compare with the navicore one? Would you by any chance have had an opportunity to try it out?

- I heard that the N810 car mount is the type you need to screw to the dashboard; we profligately have two cars, and the sucker based n800 one is perfect; I wouldn't want to screw something to the dash anyhow

I'm sorry no I haven't really had a chance to fully test it out. I don't actually own a car yet. I'm going on holiday to France tomorrow where i'll be hiring a car, so I used that as an excuse to buy an N800 and a 770 Nav kit last month. I'm sure my neighbours think i'm strange for walking around the backyard holding the tablet

I hope it works, or i'm screwed!

hahaha!! Well I used a similar excuse - that's when I got the N800 and nav kit - in May this year, and it was excellent around Brittany.

I would recommend the Christopher voice over the default American girl one - he calls a roundabout a roundabout instead of a "traffic circle" and he varies his "you have reached your destination" quite a lot - gets quite sarcastic sometimes "that wasn't too hard, was it?"

So what exactly did you do? Upgrade to os2008, then install the wayfinder, then activate using your navicore code?...?

Nice, maybe I'm not as loony as I thought after all Thanks for the voice recommendation, that would get annoying.

And yep I upgraded to 2008 (wayfinder is bundled/installed with the OS already btw), then just clicked on the RHS of wayfinder and input my 770 Nav kit serial number. I already had the maps downloaded and saved on my SD card from using wayfinder (without routing) in the OS2008 beta though.

The repositories are taking a beating at the moment, i'm finding it impossible to install any other software at the moment, so my 2008 install is very much bare bones.

The Following User Says Thank You to evanjfraser For This Useful Post:
Ok thanks for that. I may pause a little until download fever has calmed down.

I can't get the upgrade to download, but I will verify:

1) The N810 comes with the car mount bracket piece, and you can swap it out with the N800 bracket that came with the navicore kit. If you don't have the old kit, you just need to buy the car arm piece direct from nokia.

2) Your navicore key WILL activate the N810 map"oftware (It's in their FAQ) but you need the new firmware

Hope that helps!

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Norman, OK, USA
Will the Navicore key only be good for the 36 months on OS2008 like the Wayfinder keys? if so I will keep OS2007 on a SD card and just boot that when I need GPS.

My wife says the 'Christopher' voice sounds like Billy Idol

Can you use the Wayfinder program for non-voice navigation if you don't purchase the Navigation software?

I'm planning to buy a BT GPS, but don't want to get it if i'll miss out a lot if I don't purchase the navigation

What am I missing out?