sorry i haven't been following, i have owned the 7700 and loved it, but the lack of YouTube support and it's slowness turned me off at some point.

The N800 is available in my country(UAE), and i heard that the N810 OS 2008 can be installed on the N800 by updating the N800, true?

how about the processor? N810 is 400Mhz, while the N800 is 340Mhz(i think). I heard when you upgrade it to OS 2008 it unlocks the processor and the N800 processor would run at 400Mhz, is this true?

and last, in terms of RAM(not memory card ram) do they both have the same ram? i'd hate it if some application would shut down because of lack of ram(like u know how some nokia phones shut down because they say not enough memory).

i'm not too concerned about the GPS and the keyboard on the N810, as long as the N800 screen can be used to type with my fingers(i dislike stylus typing)

also, do both tablet play the same type of movie files? is mpeg4, divx, xvid, mpeg2 and avi supported?

sorry for the too man question, but your response would great make me decide on which to get!

thanks!

EDIT: doe you tube play as smooth as it does on the N810(OS 2008) as it does on computers? i remember the N800 had very slow choppy youtube)....youtube is one of my biggest factors.

thanks again!

Youtube plays fine on my N810, if it is choppy for some people, they likely have a slow wifi connection or are watching a poor quality video. If you are on a slow connection, just let the video load fully, then view it.

I have also played mpg movies stored on a windows home server from a shared folder over wifi just fine.

For typing, its either stylus, or the thumb keyboard, the auto-complete words speed it up a lot. Some people use a bluetooth keyboard.

This post was written from my N810, with stylus.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Toronto, Hong Kong
:::

Youtube have no problem on my N800!

:::

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
To be honest I'd really recommend you buy the N810, especially as you are in UAE, I was over in Dubai in November, (with an n800) and the problem was you can't use it outside at all, the screen is just black (sun glare)
The N810 is supposed to be much better, although I won't be over there again for a couple of months - so I'd check it first!

I wouldn't recommend flashing the n810 OS onto the N800 - it can be done but I really wouldn't recommend it, gizmo mic/voice didn't work when I did it.
You can get OS2008 for the N800 anyway now, so there is no reason to, and then it plays you tube etc. no problems.
There are differences in RAM, but you should be OK (and the N800 has two replaceable SD card slots, so you can have quite a lot of space there!), whereas the N810 has microSD and only one replaceable slot, so at the moment that's only 2Gb+1Gb internal (at least I think the internal is 1Gb) - but that's enough for me at the moment.
Movies, not sure about divx and xvid but not had any troubles playing movies in general (you can always convert them), nokia has released a "beta" movie converter I think to make them optimised for the tablet. [M$ OS only :-(]

As far as you tube goes, it can handle it ok from my point of view, but it can be a pain as far as trying to scroll whilst watching a video, as I think that pushes it as far as it can go (but it is smooth)

But if you want it to be 100% then no, but it is smooth from my view point - just a pain that everything pretty much grinds to a halt whilst the video is on!

Cheers,

Malc

thanks for the comments guys. how is the thumb on screen keyboard? is it responsive like the apple iPhone keyboard? and are the key big enough to type, cuz i hate using stylus to type.

and last is the GPS good, or is it bad like the Nokia N series mobiles?

does flashing the N800 with OS 2008 also increase the processor speed like mentioned on the net? i also take it flashing the new OS 2008 changes the user interface too, right?

thanks!

EDIT: does the N810 SUPPORT 802.11n ? and last, is it true Nokia is going to introduce a new tablet? supposed to be a breakthrough sort of thing.

sorry, one more thing, why does the nokia site says that the N800 uses Opera browser? i thought they ditched opera for a mozilla based browser? or is that for the N810 only? which the N800 can get using the OS 200 upgrade....right?

sorry for the too may questions, i'm just trying to decide on what to buy, and you guys are helping me out a lot!

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ NJ, USA
Your questions answered, in order of their asking.

1. n810 operating system on n800:
There is a free release of os2008 designed specifically for the n800 (for instance, n800 doesn't have hardware keyboard but does have FM radio)

2. processor speed:
Yes, when upgrading to os2008, the n800 processor runs at 400 mhz instead of original 340 mhz.

3. device RAM size:
I believe both have the same 128MB size of RAM. Additionally, virtual RAM taken from the memory card can act as real RAM.

4. video types:
mplayer (download from
http://mplayer.garage.maemo.org/ ) is excellent at playing all sorts of videos, I'm pretty sure all of your listed ones are OK.

5. youtube performance:
on my n800 running os2008, youtube streams fine.

6. memory cards:
n800 has 2 SD slots (both SDHC compatible), n810 has one internal, non-removable 2GB memory card and one miniSD slot, for a total of 2 cards. Note that miniSD can also take microSD cards (they have higher capacity) using an adapter.

7. Thumb onscreen keyboard:
each "key" is 10mm x 8mm- ample size for my fingers.

8.GPS performance:
as I don't have a n810, I do not know the answer to this question myself, although others have posted about it.

9. os2008 UI:
changing the n800 from os2007 to os2008 does change the user interface, and it looks and feels much cleaner, in my opinion.

10. 802.11n support:
AFAIK, neither has any support for 802.11n wireless.

11. new tablet:
I don't know of any details about the successor, wish I did!

12. browser engine:
os2007's browser is opera, os2008's is mozilla based. n800, when updated to os2008, does indeed run the mozilla based browser.

For an excellent comparison by Thoughtfix between the n800 and n810, visit his blog: http://tabletblog.com/2007/10/n800-v...e-choices.html

In your case, the n810's sunlight readable display might be a major selling point.

Glad to of helped.
-TabletKev

Last edited by TabletKev; 2007-12-29 at 19:08.

thanks for the help guys, it's a tough decision, but i decided to go with the N810 even though it's almost $200 extra.

out door is not important to me since i'm mainly going to use it in-doors anyways.

i played my order from amazon and i hope it arrives soon!

thanks!