Active Topics

Most of these are probably already known by the pro users out there, but some of us always have more to learn! Post your N810 tips and tricks here and I'll keep the first post updated with them. I'll start -

N810 Tips and Tricks
(updated 1/9/08)

General Tricks -
  • Holding down the App switcher button will return you to the home screen
  • Holding down the back button will close the current application (or window)
  • Removing the battery from the unit for 10+ seconds will perform a hard reset
  • The N810's stand has three positions, not including the closed position
  • The default lock code for the N810 is 12345
  • Pressing Fn or Shift twice before entering another key will lock Fn or Shift on until you press them again

Default bluetooth keyboard shortcuts -
  • Minimize - <ctrl><alt>m
  • Task launcher - <alt><shift>Tab
  • Task switcher - <alt>Tab
  • Full screen key - <alt>Return
  • Menu key - <ctrl><shift>M
  • Home view - <ctrl><shift>H
  • Power menu - <ctrl><shift>P
All of these can be customized in the Control Panel menu under "Bluetooth keyboard"

Screen protector over camera - (thanks realcomix)

If you have a screen protector, cut a small piece to cover the N810's camera lens and protect it from scratches especially when it is going in/out of the car mount.

N810 manuals in several different languages - (thanks jaimealves)

Page Up/Down (thanks Egres) -
Space and <shift>space work for Page Up and Page down in the web browser.

Last edited by Benz145; 2008-01-10 at 03:26.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Benz145 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
What exactly do you mean by 'hard reset'? Will removing the battery for >10 secs wipe it back to factory state? I thought you had to flash the device for that. I was planning on picking up a spare battery but hate to be on a short time limit if I'm switching it out for a fresh one.

Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
What exactly do you mean by 'hard reset'? Will removing the battery for >10 secs wipe it back to factory state? I thought you had to flash the device for that. I was planning on picking up a spare battery but hate to be on a short time limit if I'm switching it out for a fresh one.
Well in my experience, a hard reset is the powering down of the device by removing its power, as opposed to a soft reset usually triggered by pressing the reset button within the devices software. A hard reset doesn't give the device time to do some of the things it would normally do during a soft reset, which isn't always a good thing, but can sometimes fix certain issues.

To better answer the question, no I don't believe that it will reset to factory if you remove it from power for that long. The type of storage it uses should be non-volatile which means it can retain data without being powered (similar to a memory stick, and the opposite of RAM).

A fix for the newer, smaller, but nearly unobtainable connectors used on the n810

MicroB to MiniB connector - for much less than Nokia charges (also allows host mode mod http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=14092
)

They also have a power adapter (the ultra-tiny to the old Nokia power connector which is much more common):

(I updated the links - these work for me)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...T21EQ&v=glance
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...T21EQ&v=glance

In case these break again,

The Amazon ASINs (do search in cell phones) are:
B000Y032X8
B000F0PHV2

(Note handling is charged once, so it is cheaper to get multiples to save on shipping).

Last edited by tz1; 2008-01-03 at 14:37.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
i still dont understand the switch to micro usb , if you look at the ends there isnt a whole hell of a lot of size diference , and if the were concerned about internal space , how about knockinf off the dedicated power plug and charge via USB like should have been done since the 770

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by Benz145 View Post
Well in my experience, a hard reset is the powering down of the device by removing its power, as opposed to a soft reset usually triggered by pressing the reset button within the devices software. A hard reset doesn't give the device time to do some of the things it would normally do during a soft reset, which isn't always a good thing, but can sometimes fix certain issues.

To better answer the question, no I don't believe that it will reset to factory if you remove it from power for that long. The type of storage it uses should be non-volatile which means it can retain data without being powered (similar to a memory stick, and the opposite of RAM).
Ahhhh.... Thanks for the clarification I've been using Palm OS for the past 5yrs and in the Palm world a 'hard reset' means wiping all apps and personal info from the device and restoring it to factory state. Newer Palms use NVFS too so that all data insn't lost if the battery dies.

If you slide the display up, the micro-B takes about 40% of the available thickness, 60% for the slot. A mini-B wouldn't fit. Same with the power connector. It also has to mount to the circuit board and be bonded strong enough to not break off if someone tries to push the cable in upside down.

The n810 is THIN. Perhaps too thin, but they still have the n800.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
i never said it had to be mini , but just pointing out the piss poor thought behind the design in general , why have two separate plugs , when one can accomplish both uses... sorta like a guy havin two johnsons , one for urination and one for procreation.... just doesnt make sense

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The switch from mini to micro makes perfect sense. The overall physical envelope IS a little smaller, plus this change represents a consolidation of connector formats in the industry. Several companies that had previously relied on proprietary connectors and/or a mix of types are now reducing that nightmare down to micro usb for the most part.

As for having both micro usb and a separate power plug, I can't speculate much on the benefit of any information, but given that it should be cheaper for a company in the long run to consolidate those as well, I'm guessing there was some sense to the decision to keep both.

And at your analogy.

Could you add to the tips how to access the memory card of the n810 from a Windows PC via Wi-Fi ? Still haven't figured this one out.