Active Topics

read the wiki entry and scanned the forums. have had my 770 for 2 wks and am delighted with it. still looking for several things:

. 'scroll up' and down button. wiki refers to holding arrow buttons to get this but when i do this i get a series of clicks and cursor doesnt move (click once jumps to next lve field rather than pagiing). so still looking for simple up/dwn mechanism

.links vs bkmrks. in ie i am a user of links rather than bookmarks that,is, ive found that i do most browsing information 10-15 sites and having a direct link is better for me than navigating thru bkmrk menus (i eliminate or shorten text to 2-3 characters to get more links to fit across screen)

. search icon. i use thengooglentoolbar all their time i there a way to change the function of the magnifying glass icon to do a web rather than page search?

i would give up 1 more row of screen real estate to get the above if necessary

(typed on 770!!)

Originally Posted by cshaida
read the wiki entry and scanned the forums. have had my 770 for 2 wks and am delighted with it. still looking for several things:

. 'scroll up' and down button. wiki refers to holding arrow buttons to get this but when i do this i get a series of clicks and cursor doesnt move (click once jumps to next lve field rather than pagiing). so still looking for simple up/dwn mechanism
Huh?
Long press does just what the manual says it does - scrolls, line by line.
Short press moves the focus from one active widget to another (whatever that widget might be - a text field, a button, a link, a radio button etc.)

.links vs bkmrks. in ie i am a user of links rather than bookmarks that,is, ive found that i do most browsing information 10-15 sites and having a direct link is better for me than navigating thru bkmrk menus (i eliminate or shorten text to 2-3 characters to get more links to fit across screen)
Again, huh?
What exactly are you refering to by the terms "link" and "bookmark"? Because i can't see any difference between them.

Are you talking about a link bar with bookmarks?
Because if you are, you can get more or less the same functionality from the Web icon in the top left corner - one click and all the bookmarks are there.

. search icon. i use thengooglentoolbar all their time i there a way to change the function of the magnifying glass icon to do a web rather than page search?
This may not be the solution you've been looking for, but you could put a custom made PHP adress bar injector somewhere on your local network and access the web "through" it. Google around a bit for the old PSP web browser hack and you should run into an example of what i mean.

Or you could just make Google your homepage

Thanks for responding but sorry for causing such consternation.

re 1 - I had read the manual and also the wiki and recognize that the long press is supposed to work as you describe. For some reason it doesn't on my 770. It just sits on whatever widget its on and 'clicks' for as long as you hold the key down WITHOUT moving the screen down. Given that the writer of the wiki article also had issues with his/her 770 not performing as it was supposed to I thought perhaps someone had discovered something further, say a system switch that changed the behavior of this button? I guess not and it's just a peculiarity that may resolve itself with software upgrades over time.

re 2 - 'links'. I was referring, I guess too cryptically, to the Links funciton and toolbar in Internet Explorer. I happen to use that as my primary mechanism for returning to commonly used sites. I know that the 'favorites' function in IE (as on the 770) is designed as the primary tool for this function but I find the Links Toolbar to be more handy. Perhaps I'm a much less adventurous browser than most but I find that there are about 10 sites I visit habitually and the Link function--an icon plus a description that I shorten to a letter or two or three--is more direct. I was hoping in the wild and woolly open linux world someone had come up with something to mimic the link toolbar. In my dream world I'd be happy to sacrifice one row at the bottom of the current 770 web screen for a horizontal set of icons and/or short descriptions to click directly on in lieu of pulling up the favorites menus.

re 3 - 'search'. In the precious screen real estate of the 770 they have chosen to use up an icon space on the bottom bar for the magnifying glass, which, of course, pulls up a bar to enter a search term. I just happen to find the 'search on this page' function useless but would find a 'search the web' (through google or something else) quite useful.

I know there are 'other ways' to accomplish these things but inasmuch as the 770 exists and will continue to exist as a tool that does-one-thing-really-well vs a tool that-(sort of)-does-many-things (I have a dell axim that, on paper, can do almost everything the 770 does--and so much more!!--but in real life is a piece of junk as a browser because too many of the little things are a bit 'off' or just wrong) I happen to be interested in 'optimizing' how it does that one thing. And since I have no programming skills I have to rely on the comfort of strangers...

Thanks for responding but sorry for causing such consternation.

I was hoping in the wild and woolly open linux world someone had come up with something to mimic the link toolbar.
Opera, which the browser the 770 uses, ins't "open". it's a commercial product that happens to have a linux ARM version that Nokia licensed.

Firefox does have what you want, and the desktop Opera probably does too, I'd imagine that Nokia just nixed it in favor of screen realestate

doesn't on my 770. It just sits on whatever widget its on and 'clicks' for as long as you hold the key down WITHOUT moving the screen down.
Have you tried tapping inside the page a few times? I had scrolling "freeze" on me once or twice (i'm guessing the "scroll focus" got left in one frame, while the "widget focus" was in another) and this helped.
Also, try updating the firmware (which one are you using, BTW?).

Perhaps I'm a much less adventurous browser than most but I find that there are about 10 sites I visit habitually and the Link function--an icon plus a description that I shorten to a letter or two or three--is more direct. I was hoping in the wild and woolly open linux world someone had come up with something to mimic the link toolbar.
But there seriously isn't any need for that.
Like i said, if you click (and drag) on the web icon in the top left corner, you get a single-click access to about 12 icons with descriptions. I just can't see what the functional difference is between that and a Links toolbar

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Boston, Massachusetts
On the scroll issue, there is a nice hack on the maemo wiki that will change the assignment of the single click from the focus function to the scroll function. I personally found this hack to be very helpful.

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ScrollInOperaWithThumb

On the bookmarks issue, I have to agree with the above posts. The Web icon in the sidebar is a great instant way to access bookmarks (w/o launching the bookmarks app).

I too would like to have a search toolbar. That would be nice.
What would also be nice would be a customization option for the toolbar. I certainly never use the magnification icons and the homepage icon. The magnification icons seem redundant considering there are hardware buttons dedicated to this function.

orcinus:

the tapping works! thanks. It still seems to get 'stuck' sometimes but tapping 'unsticks' it. perhaps it's a function of particular site design? I'll have to keep track an see if the sticking happens on particular sites.

links - well you've beaten me into submission about aandoning links but then I'd like to be able to arrange the bookmarks in some way other than alphabetically (ya see with links you could just drag and drop the little icons and arrange them in whatever order you wanted...)

oh and 3.2005.51-13, plain vanilla except for 1gb addl memory card

oafbot:

the opera ini hack to change the thunmb scroll function sounds spectacularly like exactly what I want--now I just need to learn how to edit the ini file...so if you happen to want to provide a pointer that'd be great otherwise I'm sure there are instructions out there somewhere...

agree completely as well re + - icons -- for me redundant with hw buttons

install xterm and an editor like joe or vim