Hey guys what are the best programs for this?...also getting the maps? And please list any portable bluetooth GPS recievers that work.
thanks

Software:
- The preinstalled "Maps" application.
- Maemo Mapper - you can download Google Earth / Virtual Earth maps and aerial photos from within Maemo Mapper.

These are the only useful GPS related N8x0 applications which I'm aware of. Well, in addition there is Kismet (wireless scanner), which can also use GPS to show the exact location of the wireless networks it detects. Unfortunately at the moment Kismet is not very usable on the N8x0.

Bluetooth GPS receivers:
First I had the Nokia LD-3W, which I sold recently to to replace it with a Nokia LD-4W. Both are working together with the N800 like a charm. Connecting these GPS receivers to the N800 is very easy and both have an equally good GPS performance (Sirfstar III chipset). The LD-4W is smaller and more lightweight than the LD-3W, but also more expensive.
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4...tures11fw8.jpg

Any bluetooth receiver should work. And as jskarion said, the only mapping apps I know of are Maemo Mapper and the built-in maps app. Maemo Mapper is far better - at least you can download maps. I haven't been able to download a single map for the built-in app, and I finally just deleted it.

What OS version are you using?
I have the 2.2007.50-2. Managed to download several maps to the internal removable memory (not the device internal memory) without problems. Took a while (around 1 hour for the US east map set), though.

The weird thing happening now is that I get an update for the Maps application throuhg the Applications Manager but if I click on "Update" it gives me a message saying it cannot update it because it is from a different source.

Quick question. Have you tried Google Earth in your N800? How is it working?

Cheers!

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by WebNavigator View Post
The weird thing happening now is that I get an update for the Maps application throuhg the Applications Manager but if I click on "Update" it gives me a message saying it cannot update it because it is from a different source.
you can update it as root on the command line with "apt-get install map", though it is the same version as the one already installed!?!?!

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Ancaster
Good luck. My bluetooth gps works fine with other stuff but total garbage with N800 (2008) Only ever had it locked on twice before batteries ran out!
Same on both progs (yes everything up to date inc maps)

Originally Posted by 2e1ebr View Post
Good luck. My bluetooth gps works fine with other stuff but total garbage with N800 (2008) Only ever had it locked on twice before batteries ran out!
I use a Wayfinder bt GPS which someone gave me. It works great - even upstairs in the house it locks on in seconds. I think it's quite old as the compatible phones listed only stretch as far as a Nokia N70.

I found an application that pics your gps location up and tells you places of interest near you too. quite interesting, but I can't remember what it's called.

Maemo mapper though works superbly for me on my N800 running 0s2008. No problem pairing, or even with a simutaneous BT DUN connection to my N95

Originally Posted by 2e1ebr View Post
Is that device perhaps sensitive to WiFi signals? I can't imagine any other reason why a external GPS device should have different lock-on behaviour with different computers, if we can rule out non-standard protocols (which we can if you once managed to get a fix - the N800 doesn't have drivers for non-standard devices, so it would not work at all).

Are you using it in the same location? Indoors GPS is iffy at best, because the satellite signals are very weak, and the frequency is easily blocked. Liquid water will totally block the signals, and you have enough water in your hand to block them entirely. You need to be outside, with a view of the sky, in order to get a good test. Newer receivers can get better reception, since they can use more channels, but they can still be unable to get a signal inside buildings, especially if there is a lot of steel, or the windows have a metallic film.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Noblesville, IN USA
I just installed 2008OS on my n800. I launched Map and then tried to have it communicate with my Bluetooth GPS. I get "no GPS connection". The GPS receiver works fine with Maemo-Mapper. Is there something that I should turn on?