Active Topics

Hi there,

I'm fairly familiar with my N800 and OS2008 since I've had them for awhile, but Maemo Mapper is still a bit daunting to me. I was hoping you guys could help me answer some questions:

* How do I download a set of routes maps so they are already cached? For example, I'd like to download all US or at least West US maps. Right now, I have to be tethered to my cell phone to really get anywhere b/c it has to download routes and maps. If I am suddenly somewhere without cell phone signal, I'm hosed.

* How do I keep on the N800 display while using Maemo Mapper? The flight guide seems to just go to sleep when the screen turns off.

* Is there a way to use Maemo Mapper without having to rely on the drop-down menu with the stylus? Maybe I'm asking too much, but I'd really like to use it to just use my finger to go to point B from my GPS location --- you know, how most preinstalled car GPS systems work.

Those are my starter questions for now.

Thank you!!!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
* How do I download a set of routes maps so they are already cached?
This I've covered several times. The primary posts of interest are on page 1 here.

* How do I keep on the N800 display while using Maemo Mapper? The flight guide seems to just go to sleep when the screen turns off.
There's an option under Settings... in the Misc. tab.

* Is there a way to use Maemo Mapper without having to rely on the drop-down menu with the stylus?
Hardware keys? Rebind some of them if they don't suit you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Sweet! Thanks, man! Will give these a shot.

About the third question... I didn't know I could rebind, say for example view > address, to a key. Will take a closer look into that too.

There is arelatively complete and accurate help file in the application. Use the "Help" button in the main menu. It answers all of the questions you just asked, plus more. There's even a Quick Start document to get you up and running in minutes.

The Following User Says Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
Thanks for pointing out the Help section, but I have seen it. Obviously, I have tried to read the manual --- otherwise, I wouldn't have asked questions. I just didn't find it all that intuitive.

Like I said, it's all still daunting. I was hoping you guys would go easy on me since I posted in the "Newbie" forum --- to avoid annoying you guys in the other forums.

Just think of me as one of those people that Nokia needs to really help the tablet lift off: the guy who has the gadget, but may need a bit of help because he doesn't find the Maemo Mapper all that intuitive.