Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
How is it seems the "new" browser for OS2008 seems 2 steps back from OS2007 ? I used to have random crashes or just random stability, but the new browser is consistently bad across the board. Either it just stops loading pages or freezes for no apparent reason, and if you even think about touching zoom (zoom in or out) let alone changing it to fit to page good night browser.

Just very frustrating, and I did a clean re-flash, I used none of the back-up settings from the last install.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
There are a half-dozen threads on the topic. Yes, we know people like to whine.

If you want to be constructive, head on over to bugzilla and start filing bugs. Just be sure to search first, and provide a clear description (including steps to reproduce) of the bug if you do post a new one. Then we can get things fixed and the browser will improve!

Despite your hyperbole about it being bad "across the board", MicroB is much, much more capable at handling many different sorts of websites than Opera. Plus, it's open-source.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
I agree with the General. Aside from the occasional crash/shutdown casued by very complex web pages, microB has been so much better than the browser in OS2007 as it has better support for YouTube and other Flash-heavy sites which the OS2007 browser used to choke violently on.

I have never encountered situations where it stops loading a page halfway, and I personally do not play around with zoom while pages are loading. It's never a good thing, even on a desktop browser

Agreed. I've been very impressed with the browser.

Sometimes wish it was bit quicker, but not sure if I can blame the browser for that.
Also, full java support would be nice.

Zuber

The Following User Says Thank You to Zuber For This Useful Post:
I've been very impressed with the OS2008 browser - it's only crashed once on me since I got the N800. I only had OS2007 on it for half an hour, so I can't really compare.

If you think microb is bad, try Blazer on Palm OS

The Following User Says Thank You to t3h For This Useful Post:
Sorry to disagree with all of you, but microB pales in comparison to Opera. As for those who say that microB supports more features than Opera (like Flash9 and Ajax), it is simply because the version of Opera used on OS2007 was not the latest. If only Opera was willing to fork out the money to get the latest version licensed for OS2008 (and previous OSes), I doubt anyone would come across such problems.

It's ironic that for something touted as the "Internet Tablet", with emphasis on the web browser, Nokia is going a step back with OS2008 and giving us a really crap browser. For me it's simple, I have come to the point where web browsing is so crap with microB that I do not use it anymore. Maybe I should go back to OS2007...

Remember: Open Source does not necessarily mean a better product!

The Following User Says Thank You to arman68 For This Useful Post:
I only used Opera for about 5 minutes before I re-flashed my tablet to 2008, but I don't see how Opera could be much better than microB on the tablet.

I've only been to a handful of pages that don't render properly, and even the most extremely complex pages seem to render perfectly. Sure there are some nit-noid annoyances, but it seems to be a perfectly capable browser.

Complainers say that it "sucks" or it's "crap". That's simply not constructive, or even useful, feedback. What does it do that you don't like? What pages kill it? What features are missing? What did you like about Opera that you don't like about microB?

I've never had a page only half load. I can count on my fingers the number of times I've had the browser crash. Zooming works perfectly fine on every page I've tried zooming on. I'm not saying you're exaggerating - maybe you go to sites that are more demanding that the ones I go to - but just saying it's crap isn't going to do anything to make it better.

Microb is much more stable in 2008 than in 2007. The build is much better.

When microb was released for 2007 I switch most of my browsing to it because I found it gave better support than Opera, although Opera was certainly faster. For example, I use gmail and calendar and found they worked better with microb.

Hopefully microb will only get faster as more work is done on the engine by the mozilla team.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by coffeedrinker View Post
Hopefully microb will only get faster as more work is done on the engine by the mozilla team.
Well, the MicroB team.

Originally Posted by t3h View Post

If you think microb is bad, try Blazer on Palm OS
Heh...yeah, or IE on Windows Mobile.