Active Topics

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alberta, Canada
On my 1 month old N800 (OS2008), approximately every 3-4 times I press the scroll down function on the D-pad, some programs I am using will continue to scroll all the way to the bottom unless I stop it by pressing the scroll up button. Doesn't seem at all related to how I press the button but won't do it if I quickly press, only if it's been at least 4 seconds between presses. Never noticed it happening scrolling upwards. And it seems to be getting ever more frequent. Talk about frustrating.

First had this happening when using FBReader with the D-pad up/down configured to scroll by page. Thought it was probably a bug in FBReader but now I have it happening in the browser window too which I've configured to web page up/down.

I wonder if this is likley to be a hardware problem, an OS2008 problem or something related to my configuration of the scroll functions?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Have you applied a screen protector?

I have the same problem when scrolling w/ the browser. It's difficult to scroll in general with the D pad, if you hit it too short it skips to the next hyperlink, while if you hit it too long it scrolls too far. Very annoying.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
I see the same problem and I have mostly stopped using the D-pad and started growing my right thumbnail so that I can scroll with that.

I have MicroB configured to scroll page by page and this is where I see it happening.

I do have a screen protector - well, the foil that was already installed when I bought my N800.

Karel, why do you ask about the screen protector?

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Originally Posted by dont View Post
I see the same problem and I have mostly stopped using the D-pad and started growing my right thumbnail so that I can scroll with that.

I have MicroB configured to scroll page by page and this is where I see it happening.

I do have a screen protector - well, the foil that was already installed when I bought my N800.

Maybe he was looking for some unwanted screen pressure I guess...

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alberta, Canada
Well I do have an after-market screen protector and, come to think of it, the problem likely started soon after I applied it. Hmm. Haven't noticed any untended screen hits though, just that one hardware button function.

Maybe it's best to just use the zoom buttons, uncomfortable as that might be.

I also observed this problem under OS2008, and my screenprotector is on since OS2007, so its unlikely that's the problem.

It does seem to happen more often when running fullscreen, but maybe that's my imagination.

I think this problem is related to the virtual keyboard problem, where input is mangled now and then, seems like some events are lost. (Maybe the "button released" event sometimes goes missing?)

The Following User Says Thank You to whouweling For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Russia, Moscow
I have the same problem with my N800 and OS2008.
Screen-protector I haven't bought yet, only factory tape. I noticed it happens only with “down” button and only in OS-native apps (like browser, rss reader, e-mail etc.), never in 3rd-party apps. Btw, I scroll in FBReader with zoom-buttons.

Same here.
While browsing "installable applications", it happens everytime.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by dont View Post

My first attempt at a screen protector was by "downsizing" a NuShield for the N800's screen. NuShields are non-stick screen protectors that are applied by sliding them about a millimeter each way under the screen bezel. This works nicely with Newtons (which is where I had the NuShield from) but made my N800's D-pad do all sorts of weird things, a.o. unintentional wild scrolling.