I am a new developer. I don't know how to port my program to N800 and let it run. I can compile my program and run it in the virtual machine ubuntu. But I don't know how to connect N800 with my computer. Also, if I can connect it, which files should I send to N800 and do I need to install anything on N800 for running the program?

Please kindly help me. I need to do some demonstration for my boss soon.

I believe this is covered in this training from Nokia!?

Thank you for your quick reply. I have read your reference.

I still have some problems. After I used this command dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot to create the debian package, which files should be copied to the N800?

And also after I use the USB cable to connect the N800 to my PC, I don't know how to copy the package into the mounted device. What does the mounted device mean? And how can I copy the debian package to N800? Does it just copy the package to a standard directory? And after I copied successfully, where can I find the package in N800?

Please help. Thank you.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Originally Posted by hungiu View Post
I still have some problems. After I used this command dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot to create the debian package, which files should be copied to the N800?
In the directory above the one where you ran "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot" a file named something like "your-program-1.0-1_armel.deb" will be created. That is the file to transfer.
And also after I use the USB cable to connect the N800 to my PC, I don't know how to copy the package into the mounted device. What does the mounted device mean? And how can I copy the debian package to N8000?
When you plug the N800 into your computer it should appear to the computer as a card reader. Just copy the file to it. Note: you will need to put an SD card in your N800 to use this method.

Does it just copy the package to a standard directory? And after I copied successfully, where can I find the package in N800?
Once you copy the file over, open the "File Manager" program on your N800. Look under "Internal Memory Card" and "External Memory Card" for the file you copied over. Click on it twice to install the debian package.

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Thanks for being so patient and including the qoutes. I still don't know how that works, but its very informative and I know its a bit of an effort. Thanks again.

Last edited by Deserttaxguy; 2008-01-19 at 08:30. Reason: add info

Thanks for Johnx.

I can transfer the debian package to my N800 now. But When I double click the package in my N800 to install, there is an error message box "Unable to install. Incompatible application package.". So do I need to install anythings to my N800 so that I can install the debian package?