Active Topics

Hi, I'm curious if anybody knows if there is some kind of wall charger available to charge the N810 batteries "BP-4L" type. I'm wanting to get a few spare (genuine) BP-4Ls for trips and such, but I don't want to have to charge them through the N810.

So far the closest thing I've found is a bunch somebody is selling on eBay.com for about $5.00 (includes a (no doubt) knock off BP-4L battery), here's an example:

http://buyeng.ebay.com.hk/buying/hk/...-E61i-E90-E90i (if that dies, simply search ebay for "BP-4L charger")

Has anybody tried this? I would just toss the battery, but how safe is the charger? Will it harm the genuine batteries? Will it damage the N810? Will it shorten the batteries life or capacity?

This is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for but I am fairly concerned about it being a Hong Kong seller since I imagine it's not a Nokia authorized accessory. Would using this invalidate the warranty?

Thanks so much for your help.

Last edited by CyberCat; 2008-01-19 at 20:13.

Thinking of getting one of these myself...

From what I can make out, there isn't any clever circuitry in chargers for Lithiom Ion batteries/phones. They just provide current at a steady voltage. The clever stuff I assume therefor must be in the batteries/phones or not required.

So if someone can confirm this, then all that we need to check is that the quick knockoff charger hasn't got too high a voltage output. I assume the maximum current output should not matter as it's just a maximum.

So just need to check it with a voltmeter I guess.

Not an expert, so the above is not fact, asking for second opinions...

Zuber

Last edited by Zuber; 2008-01-20 at 00:17.

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ North of the 49.
Same here - looking at something like this too. I have bought batteries and chargers for my Canon digital SLR's from China/Hong Kong without any ill-affect. As usual, caveat emptor

Greetings. It would be great to have a charger sitting on my desk, and an extra battery. I am in and out of the house a lot during the day, and it would be nice to know an extra battery is always one swap away.

Originally Posted by CyberCat View Post
http://buyeng.ebay.com.hk/buying/hk/...-E61i-E90-E90i (if that dies, simply search ebay for "BP-4L charger")
I bought, separately, what looks like the identical battery and the identical charger.

The battery was probably a counterfeit. It worked - once I bent the contacts back where they should have been. But it had about half the capacity of the Nokia BP-4L. I complained to the seller, and he refunded my money. I bought this battery instead; it is more expensive, advertised at 1200 mAh, and seems to be fine.

The charger works fine, with two caveats. The battery does get a bit warm when it's near full charge. I posted a question about that and got the advice that it wasn't a problem, FWIW. The other issue is that while it's charging, LEDs inside the charger put on a multicolored light show through those two translucent side panels. Haven't decided whether that's a bug or a feature, but I'm carrying masking tape on my trip just in case.

The Following User Says Thank You to bilofsky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I bought one of those cheap ebay chargers. The only caveat I have is that the battery that came with mine (quite a deal at the price!) fit the N800 too closely, and I damaged the battery trying to get it out!

Other than that, the charger is nearly a year old and is working great.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I got one on ebay, too. Seems to work nicely.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Mugen Power, good reputation, has a BP-4L repacement that's 1800mAh for less than $30. It's 300mAh more than the stock battery. I'm also looking for a standalone battery charger but won't buy anything with PayPal. Recently I neeeded PayPal for a credit card purchase online. I started entering my info and without warning me before the purchase was submited told me they'd just charged my AMEX $1.95 to verify my credit card for PayPal membership. I didn't complete the purchase and when I got my AMEX bill I had that charge removed as unauthorized. AMEX didn't even ask any questions they just did it. Love AMEX -- hate PayPal. I provide Google checkout on my sites. Google verified my merchant account by depositing a $1 dollar of their money as a credit card deposit to my account.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
I bought two (too) cheap chargers and battery using ebay from HK last year. I tossed them nearly immediately after receiving them, because:
- The chargers were extremely dangerous the way the wall adapter was constructed (and how the euro adapter was fitted over it, having an abysmal build quality). I didn't want to risk my life. The 2nd charger even had a missing contact.
- The batteries were counterfeit: while they looked exactly like the Nokia ones, they were much lighter (!) and had their own brand label - but once you pulled of the label, there was a Nokia imprint underneath it, blacked with a Feltpen...

Experience: brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
The links in the posts above aren't good anymore, but I posted about my bad experience here. So far I've got two chargers & four batteries, none of which work. I'm leaving on my trip in two days so there's no hope of getting a spare before then, but after I come back I'm thinking of picking up a Mugen as Fragos suggested.
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset