Active Topics

Hi,

I have my 810 in Red Pill mode to update the RT-Comm beta to latest version.

When I run a check for available updates, a whole bunch of OS library updates are available. And then I just saw the "Operating System" package - seems to be a meta-package covering all the separate libraries.

My question is, is it safe (accepting the fact that this is probably beta - even alpha? - code) to update the bunch of OS libs? Or is system integrity not neccessarily maintained?

/Morten

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
No. Turn off red pill mode and move on with your life.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Hehe - ok - thanks

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Long Island NY
deleted for off topic on thread

Last edited by bg4; 2008-02-02 at 11:18.

Originally Posted by bg4 View Post
Funny I am doing the exact same thing. Update for RT Comm Beta os2008 but when you hit update it says unable to install so I guessed because it was originally installed in red pill mode why not the update in red pill mode - but alas it doesnt work in that mode either.

SO how do you you update it?
I think the "Operating System" package is a dummy package that depends on everything else that is available for update.

I think it's purpose is to give a kind of a "1-click" update to everything, rather than stepping down the list.

Updating "Operating System" worked for me without errors when there were other updates to install (which it caused to be installed), but once the list was clear of everything else, it gave an error message.

The Following User Says Thank You to DataPath For This Useful Post:
Sorry to bump an old post but , I think its better than making another with the same basic info...

I was playing with red pill mode and noticed all the apps available in the package manager, so I started installing away, I now have htop(top in color- whooohoo) a "ls --color" type ls now, it was late so i forget what else i installed, when I tried the check for updates, I saw the 562 different libs and the operating system update, I being unable to just "go on with my life" I installed it and as of yet I've seen no ill effects, nor any cool new things either but, wtf it was fun, I cant resist things like that, Im the guy who just has to push the button labled "don't push this button"

I didnt get an error msg after it installed, but I have noticed its still on the update list as a 0k update, when clicked/installed it says "successful" but it remains on the list of available updates...

Is there any problem and or reason not to just stay in red pill mode all the time?
Is it possible to make "red pill mode" stay on after reboots,etc?

[RANT]
note to "senior members":
If you dont have anything nice/helpful to say dont say anything at all...
I am a "senior member" of a few sat testing sites and it does get annoying to see the same questions asked day after day month after month, but I've found that a quick post reminding peeps to search ALOT before posting a question and maybe a link to an existing post goes alot further than whining, b1tching and making smart arse comments, whatever I wont mention this again, but it makes for a very elitist, non welcoming environment for people just getting started, we were all noobs once, I know its hard but try to have some patience, sometimes it pays to just bite your tounge...

(some "senior members" titles should read "senior meanie")
[/RANT]

bhang

The Following User Says Thank You to bhang For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bhang View Post
Sorry to bump an old post but , I think its better than making another with the same basic info...

I was playing with red pill mode and noticed all the apps available in the package manager, so I started installing away, I now have htop(top in color- whooohoo) a "ls --color" type ls now, it was late so i forget what else i installed, when I tried the check for updates, I saw the 562 different libs and the operating system update, I being unable to just "go on with my life" I installed it and as of yet I've seen no ill effects, nor any cool new things either but, wtf it was fun, I cant resist things like that, Im the guy who just has to push the button labled "don't push this button"

I didnt get an error msg after it installed, but I have noticed its still on the update list as a 0k update, when clicked/installed it says "successful" but it remains on the list of available updates...

Is there any problem and or reason not to just stay in red pill mode all the time?
Is it possible to make "red pill mode" stay on after reboots,etc?

[RANT]
I am a "senior member" of a few sat testing sites and it does get annoying to see the same questions asked day after day month after month, but I've found that a quick post reminding peeps to search ALOT before posting a question and maybe a link to an existing post goes alot further than whining, b1tching and making smart arse comments, whatever I wont mention this again, but it makes for a very elitist, non welcoming environment for people just getting started, we were all noobs once, I know its hard but try to have some patience, sometimes it pays to just bite your tounge...

[/RANT]

bhang
I have nothing nice or helpful to say, but I'm hoping this comment will annoy bhang. And now he won't even be able to mention it! Bwuaaa-haaa-ha-haa!

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
A few days ago I was crossed by suicidal tendencies and upgraded it.
Still living.

But don't do it!!
I have no clue what it changed and I simply saw no difference. Not worth it.

Red pill will show you all packages on the repos, for ITs and for SDK (uhoh.. reboot loop anyone?)
Blue pill will only show the package with sections "User/something". They are end-user applications tested for ITs.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bhang View Post
[RANT]

[/RANT]
I do hope that wasn't directed at me.

directed at nobody in particular just a overall feeling, every time I read a flaming post it seems the person has the "senior member" tag under the nic

bhang