Other than OMWeather, I'm a little surprised that a more robust weather app hasn't been developed/released. (unless I just haven't found it yet...)

I use My-Cast on my mobile phone (scp8400) pretty much constantly, especially during times of severe weather, and the NIT just begs for a similar type of app.

Does anyone know if any 'larger' weather apps are in the pipeline anywhere?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 1,903 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Belarus
Why don't you like OMWeather?
What does it lack?

As a widget-type app, OMWeather is great and I like how it's always available right there on the desktop. Using MyCast as an example to compare to however, it lacks a number of things.

No GPS support.
No severe weather alerts.
No severe weather info.
No radar loops.
No informational maps such as windspeed, dew points, lightning strikes, etc...

Pilot MyCast goes even further by adding a number of items pilots need such as raw metar and taf data, wind speeds aloft, icing and turbulence maps, etc

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
I personally found OMweather to be a very nice program. The only thing I found is that I don't think it showed actual "current temperature", just the highs and lows that had been 'forecasted'. Am I incorrect in this?

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
- IIRC, when i tap 'update' on the first icon on my desktop after the update, the tooltip dialog has the current temp: "Now xx"

- on my desktop or notebooks, forecastfox is used in the browser, so it's always available...

- however, on the IT, i don't think everyone keeps a browser window open, so it makes sense to use the desktop?

(IMHO, omweather is a 'must have' for my tablets! but yes, alerts would be nice)

Last edited by linux_author; 2008-01-30 at 23:07.

totally off topic, but I never got the love for weather widgets/apps/status stuff...

I just look outside the window...

Originally Posted by iontruo2 View Post
I personally found OMweather to be a very nice program. The only thing I found is that I don't think it showed actual "current temperature", just the highs and lows that had been 'forecasted'. Am I incorrect in this?
I think you have wrong date/time or wrong timezone.
See it in this thread:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=14205&page=3

The Following User Says Thank You to vasvlad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mkhopper View Post
As a widget-type app, OMWeather is great and I like how it's always available right there on the desktop. Using MyCast as an example to compare to however, it lacks a number of things.

No GPS support.
No severe weather alerts.
No severe weather info.
No radar loops.
No informational maps such as windspeed, dew points, lightning strikes, etc...

Pilot MyCast goes even further by adding a number of items pilots need such as raw metar and taf data, wind speeds aloft, icing and turbulence maps, etc
I hope we will make GPS support and weather alerts in next stable release of OMWeather - 0.20

Vlad

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Doesn't recognize Dubai, UAE, so I can't get weather updates from here

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
@ghoonk: If you click "Add Custom Station" and put in AEXX0004 for your "Station code" it should work fine.