Well, I loosely know what an emulator is. So how do you use emulators, and what are some good ones. And is there a Nintendo 64 emulator?

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
I use the emulators (and virtual machines) that allow running different guest operating system platforms on various host operating system platforms. This way I can run all sorts of programs all on one device\computer. I mainly use VMware Server and Basilisk II on Windows, but have ran several dozen emulators and VMs on numerous platforms.

On the NIT I've ran DOSBox, Basilisk II, GarnetVM, and Bochs. I would like to port Mini vMac and SheepShaver to OS 200x in the future. (The version of Mini vMac posted on this forum was for OS 2006.)

Then there are the game emulators, which I'm not really into. I know quite a few game emulators are available for NITs though, notably MAME.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
You probably mean game emulators, so here's the ones I use on my N810:

Exult (Ultima 7 emulator, great game)

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=5978

ScummVM (Lucasarts adventure games, such as Full Throttle, and some Sierra games - King's Quest etc.)

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...hlight=scummvm

Xmaeme (Old arcade games): look this up on the maemo.org page or look up threads about this, I didn't find a proper "how-to" thread so you should just search for it.

Fceu (Nintendo 8-bit emulator): same with this, just look for it.

Basically, just look up for more information on all of these to find out where to put the ROM files and such. Both Fceu and Xmaeme (well, MAME) work great on a desktop but the tablet is not really such a great platform for those in my opinion, difficult to control the games, but sure, playing Mario on the N810 is still fun .

I personally think the Ultima emulator and ScummVM are perfect for the tablet -- adventure games are great for sitting in a bus or a train . Note that you do need the original games or ROM files to play games, for legal reasons they cannot be distributed with the emulators even though most of these games are not sold anymore. The adventure games (Sierra has some collections) or Ultimas (Ultima Collection) you can actually buy.

Hope this helps!

The Following User Says Thank You to BatPenguin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
MiniVMac only need a recompilation, and works like a charm !

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Hmm, sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but what do you actually use that for? Never owned a Mac or been particularly interested in any Mac software I've seen, so I'm just wondering if there's some Mac programs (that I'm unaware of) that you've found to be very useful on an internet table?

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
@bat: millions of cool mac games - casual games good for a NIT
@OP: I think the Nintendo 64 emulator is called frodo.
There is a new Game Boy Color (not advance) emulator too. PyGambatte or something.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Originally Posted by nosam View Post
@OP: I think the Nintendo 64 emulator is called frodo.
BTW: Frodo is the Commodore 64 emulator. I know the guy who originally developed it a long time ago: http://frodo.cebix.net/

XNGeo the NeoGeo emulator that works like a charm!

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
So, can it run Hypercard? If so, how performant is it?

What do you use for input? I thought MiniVMac had no way to enter text? See: http://micropledge.com/projects/mini...maemo-keyboard