Active Topics

Has anyone successfully played any 720x320 or 640x352 (or any resolution taller than 240 pixels) XVID video MP3 audio encoded Divx avi videos without re-encoding/transcoding?

Neither the preinstalled "Media Player", nor the "MPlayer" can play those files properly in my tests. Do I need to compile extra codecs? I've heard so many good things about the MPlayer, I was disappointed that it couldn't play my videos.

I have and been able to play them in MPlayer. The bit rate is too high though so it somewhat gracefully drops frames. I say gracefully because I didn't realize from watching it that it had dropped about 40%

Do you tether your tablet to a blackberry? Vote for Nokia to fix the DUN bug so your mobile connectivity experience improves.

The Following User Says Thank You to dubiousmike For This Useful Post:
Is your MPlayer the same build listed here: http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2008/multimedia/ ? Did you have to do anything extra like compiling extra codecs or install other stuff?

Thanks for the info.

That's the one

Do you tether your tablet to a blackberry? Vote for Nokia to fix the DUN bug so your mobile connectivity experience improves.

Darn it!
At least the prebundled player can play one of my test videos like a bad/shaky slideshow, the MPlayer can't even open the file. The file is NOT corrupted, just not playable on the N810 so far, but is fine on my laptop and PC.

I've been considering picking up an N810 instead of my Archos 605 so I could have an AIM client with me but it seems the video playback hasn't improved much.

Anyone else have some input on 640x352 divx files? 40% dropped frames is insane. There isn't much hope for improvement is there...