Active Topics

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Savannah, GA
For what its worth...

Our company has been working some back channels to try and establish a VAR relationship with Nokia USA/Multimedia through an old friend who works for Nokia USA/BI. My friend has been diligent in trying to open doors and find out "what's happening" and circulating some information we produced showcasing an application we're looking to bring to market using the 770 (as a replacement for a similar Linux wireless tablet called the FreePad we attempted to bring to market 2 years ago).

In what appears to be some positive news, I got an email today from my contact who received word from someone at Nokia-M/Espoo to relay the following information to me...

"I watched the QuickTime movie your friend provided, this looks great! What I suggest is that 1) if your friend is interested in finding out more about the technology and how to develop SW on the 770, he should visit www.maemo.org website. 2) if he needs products to test, the easiest is to place order at www.nokia.com starting beg of Oct. The product costs 350 US."

October 3rd, I'd say...

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
On the Maemo.org website, the note about closing down the developer device program specifically noted that "we are getting closer to the release date of the Nokia 770 Internet tablet." I realize I'm reading a lot into this, but I can't imagine someone making this kind of statement just twelve days ago if things were going to slide into November.

Mike's been saying it a while -- that Friday, Sept 30 is an unlikely release date and Monday, Oct 3 more likely. I hope he's right.

-- Roger

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Savannah, GA
For what its worth, Nokia Corporate has a couple of public events this week out in San Francisco where a N770 release might make sense/draw some attention. If they're trying to make a slash somewhere in September, the clock is ticking and this timing/venue seems appropriate.

CTIA WIRELESS I.T. & Entertainment 2005: San Francisco, September 27-29 -- This show at the Moscone Center will bring together two wireless technology domains: enterprise and entertainment. Visit Nokia at Booth 421.

Forum Nokia and Nokia Enterprise Solutions Seminar: CTIA 2005, San Francisco, September 28, 1 P.M.-5 P.M. PDT -- This seminar will outline strategies and solution roadmaps, including the latest developments in e-mail, security, and field force automation (FFA)/sales force automation (SFA) solutions based on the powerful Nokia 9300 smartphone. This seminar is open to all registered CTIA attendees, but please register beforehand to reserve a seat.

Probably not but it helps me pin my hopes for seeing a release this month on something!

- Robert ;?)

Froogle 770 and you'll see that they're already selling acessories. Should start to sell the actual product soon too.

EDIT: Know how when compaines ship products for review it's usually an indication that it's coming soon?

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/nokia...-01-127780.php

Last edited by Concrete Donkey; 2005-09-28 at 20:13.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by Robert Gadd (OnPoint)
For what it's worth, Nokia Corporate has a couple of public events this week out in San Francisco where a N770 release might make sense/draw some attention. If they're trying to make a splash somewhere in September, the clock is ticking and this timing/venue seems appropriate.

CTIA WIRELESS I.T. & Entertainment 2005: San Francisco, September 27-29 -- This show at the Moscone Center will bring together two wireless technology domains: enterprise and entertainment. Visit Nokia at Booth 421.
Well, Al saw it first (or was it Concrete Donkey, adding to the preceding post?) at Gizmodo, a report from someone at CTIA who got to look at the 770 there. Maybe you're right. I hope so.

On the other hand, Tommi Komulainen of Nokia wrote in his blog that he and others were "still quite busy adding the final polish". That doesn't sound like a Sept 29 announcement. But I still like that final.

Grrr... why do I find out about Gizmodo here in a post and not in the blog? Slacker!

>>>The OQO processing time was nice and speedy, and the graphics were to die for. I kinda thought the 30GB HDD was a tad chintzy, especially for friggin’ $2,000.

Ha, that is soooo funny. OQO owners usually gripe about the CPU, and have applauded the 30GB HD upgrade.

>>>fantastic 800x480 display, speedy WiFi connectivity

He got that right! Wow, what a gorgeous photo.

So, tomorrow is the Last Business Day of September (which is actually happening as I type this *right now* in Finland!). Someone donate some nitroglycerin to Roger for his heart. This strain is killing him!

Nokia is busy with their N70 phone... no 770 news. Yet.

Ok, I just got word from Nokia that release date has been pushed to October:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/content/view/118/2/