I have the N810 and love it, but i also like to know if it's possible to use the thumb keyboard like the N800. I fiddled with all the settings, and the only way i could type is with the sliding keyboard, which is bit inconvenient for macro tasks. I know the thumb keyboard is mentioned in the options, but i cant seem to get it to pop up.

thanks!

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
SEARCH
I use mine frequently.
look on the forum.
PLEASE use the Wiki

can you be kind enough and tell me how to access it? my internet connection is extremely slow since im on 56k dial up temporarily. and the search function is taking forever.

thanks!

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Go into Control Panel -> Text Input -> On-Screen

There you can select what you want to use. IIRC, the keyboard will only pop up once you tapped inside of a text entry box.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Even if you can manage to get a thumb on-screen keyboard (most of the time randomly), you must slide to your other hardware keyboard: the pad isn't next to the display. How do you navigate if you want to change some typos?
The thumb keyboard would be really cool because it's symetrical.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
To navigate to correct typos, just tap on the text in the text box to place the cursor or select letters/words. Then you can backspace or type over the selection.

It just takes a little practice.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
> just tap on the text

... and you mark at least one sign if you don't use your nails or stylus. This isn't very productive when typing. I use my left thumb for the left side and my right for the right side of the ususal 10-finger-system, so any asymetrical keyboard or using finger nails instead of tapping is nearly unusable.
If I have a stylus in my hand, the benefit of a thumb keyboard is completely lost. There are no on-screen cursor keys and there is a missing pad next to the screen.
The hardware keyboard keys are to flat and - because of the placement of the pad - to much asymetrical if you want to use left thumb / left side, right thumb / right side of an usual 10-finger-typing-system.

The input methods 'hardware keyboard' and 'thumb keyboard' of a N810 is from ergonomic and logical point a very big disaster. And stylus input isn't my personal fave. I think about selling it to get a N800 or some other toy. N810 looks like a supermodel without a brain if it comes to input methods. YMMV.

Last edited by slha89; 2008-02-17 at 08:40.