Notices

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Connecticut, USA
I'm going to attempt to go off the previous applet created that was posted here a few weeks ago. Before I try (considering I have very little programming knowledge), is this worth creating and how many others would be willing to use it? I'm wanting to do the half-n-half with bluetooth and connection settings.

I typically have between my headset and my husband's phone, and our wireless network both on my screen. And with Pidgin and the clock applet, I'm out of space. So would anyone else use this? Is it even possible for me to create this and it work sensibly?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I'm certain plenty will find it useful, I think the problem lies more with getting it up and running. I believe both the Bluetooth and the Connection applets are closed source at the moment, so you're going to have to work out how they do their magic.

One request if you do push forward with this is to make the icon reflect signal level for wifi networks.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
General has a good point about the two statusbar plugins you are aiming at being closed source (or at least source-not-readily-available). I ran into this problem trying to use the alarm interface world clock uses (no-source-available). Fortunately, the functionality wasn't too complicate and I was able to duplicate it without access to the code. I'm not sure this will be the case with your endeavor, though.

Statusbar code is fairly simple, although the tutorial for Chinook leaves quite a bit to be desired. The Bora tutorial is excellent, but not everything is the same between Bora and Chinook. Take a look at statusbar clock's code, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions (I can guarantee I will be able to answer ) Also, Advanced Backlight Applet code is obviously an excellent place to start (my own starting place as well).

Good luck.

I'd like it. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I'd like it. Good luck!
ditto

john

A generic monitor applet like the genmon found in XFCE would be great. It basically takes the stdout of a script or command and puts it in the status bar. The applet gives you the option to format the text (font and size) and the period in which it runs the script.

Another nice option would be the ability to display a selectable bitmap dependent on the output. For instance if the output was less than a number it would display a tiny bitmap of a red dot and if the output greater than a number it would be a bitmap green dot.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL

I'd also use it...you have my blessing.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
All for it

I would love that, ImMelody!

Something that bothers me with both the Bluetooth and WiFi applet is how many clicks it takes to enable or disable either one manually. It would be nice if the WiFi applet worked more like NetworkManager (if you're using a GNOME-based Linux distro you probably know what that is...) - or really any other WiFi connection tool other than Microsoft's horrible thing - with a list of networks right there on the popup menu. That, or at least a one-click connect button that gets it talking to the most handy wireless network, as the system does when automatically connecting.

Merging the two applets would do well, since I have found bluetooth to consume a surprising amount of battery life but turning it on and off takes a lot of poking through menus. Turning it on especially, since I must head to the control panel. With them both in the same place, there is no reason the bluetooth stuff would have to be hidden when disabled.