Active Topics

2 problems that have been bugging me:

1) Is there a way of stopping the builtin file manager and file dialogs from parsing subfolders?
The only reason it seems to do this is to give a file count in each folder, but because I have a Samba share mounted it maxes the CPU for 10 minutes trying to subindex almost 2TB of files and folders, making everything grind to a near-halt every time I touch that card with File Manager or any Open/Save file dialog!

2) Has anyone else noticed thier battery running down unexpectedly quickly when the unit isn't plugged in?
It says, e.g. 7 days idle time 4 hours use time, but leave it idle and it still runs out in 4 hours!
Worse yet, on two occasions I've turned the unit OFF, come back after work, and turned it on only to find the battery's dead!
What's up with that?!

Anyone else run into these issues on their N800s?

(Painstakingly typed using the N800 thumb pad. I REALLY need to get Graffiti onto this thing!!!!)

Last edited by Cyker; 2008-02-29 at 18:10.

1) Not that I'm aware of: it's obnoxious. At least OS2008 has Samba support sort of built in

2) It's off-off? As in, "Switch off" off? I've never experienced significant battery drain while the device is off.

Try removing the battery and seeing if that gets you longer standby.

Leaving it connected to WiFi (or Bluetooth) will dramatically decrease your idle life. Canola used to eat idle battery too...

Originally Posted by Cyker View Post
Worse yet, on two occasions I've turned the unit OFF, come back after work, and turned it on only to find the battery's dead!
What's up with that?!
Whilst initially odd, this is expected (not being dead, using up power..). Check out.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=16243

Booting from OFF takes a lot of power.

Sorry; Didn't get any notifications in e-mail and didn't notice the replies in the 'Most Recent' list ops:

Clarifications:
Yes, this was *OFF* off - Powered down and unplugged. (I don't know if it was *actually* off, or just pretending 'tho. The screen and power lights were off and unresponsive.)

I'm skeptical about the on-off vs powersaving thing.

Even if booting used a lot of power, it shouldn't have been able to drain a ~90% battery down to nothing in one boot! In fact, the first time that happened to me the unit didn't even complete it's boot up cycle - I just saw the Nokia logo (Not the hands one, the first one!) for about 8 seconds then it all went dark!

The fact that the powersaving stuff doesn't appear to be working anyway (For kicks, I just shut it down, then turned it back on to make sure it was 'fresh', charged it up to max and then left it to see how long it'd stay on for. The screen dimmed and shut off, WiFi and Bluetooth were off, no applications running. Result? ~4 hours!)