I used to take my N800 to our office at work a few times.
Recently an new wireless network appeared there that overpowers our own. I could not get a connection standing 3 feet next to the router. (Any other building is at least 50 ft from ours!!)

Any idea what to do ?
How could I find out where the source of the stronger network is ?
Isn't there any FCC regulation that would apply ? Someone runs their network so strong that we cannot use our own ...

Any ideas appreciated!
*frustrated* johenkel

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by johenkel View Post
I used to take my N800 to our office at work a few times.
Recently an new wireless network appeared there that overpowers our own. I could not get a connection standing 3 feet next to the router. (Any other building is at least 50 ft from ours!!)

Any idea what to do ?
How could I find out where the source of the stronger network is ?
Isn't there any FCC regulation that would apply ? Someone runs their network so strong that we cannot use our own ...

Any ideas appreciated!
*frustrated* johenkel
Maybe change channels?

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

tried that - no change.

j.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tennessee, US
I would suspect some one of running their own adhoc point from their xp system, it is easy to do if they are not locked out. You might try a command line wifi scan that lists the channels and see what channel the new one is on. <if i can remember that command I will post it>

Edit:
Found command
install "wirelesstools" search here
make sure you are 'root' search above for "becomeroot" above
run as root
airodump-ng wlan0

all info taken from this thread

Last edited by ericdkirk; 2008-03-03 at 19:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to ericdkirk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Doesn't sound right. Do the scan, more than likely you will find another AP using your SSID is screwing with it ( or your AP has given up / burnt out ).

If you have a wireless notebook PC with NetStumbler, you can get a lot of information about nearby wireless networks and relative signal strength. That allows you to experiment with channel, position, orientation etc and watch the results in real time.

Brontide is likely right that the other network couldn't be overpowering yours if you are standing right next to the router. It's an inverse-square law - if you're 2 feet away and the other router is 50 feet away, the relative signal strength is 25^2 = 625:1. The other router would have to be beaming an illegally-boosted signal directly at your position to overcome that.

Last edited by DJames1; 2008-03-03 at 19:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to DJames1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
What model router are you trying to connect to? Some models have a site survey feature which will show all APs that are in the area.

The networks have different SSIDs . ( the other one is called 3blindmice )
Router is a linksys - have to get to the office to read the model number.
Will try the commandline next time I am over there with my Nokia.
No other XP machine is having a wireless card, so I don't think someone from us is running its own AP.
Thanks so far!
j.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Isn't there any FCC regulation that would apply ? Someone runs their network so strong that we cannot use our own
Actually the FCC says all consumer devices in these classes must accept interference... unfortunately in your case. Your legal recourse is limited to either identifying the source and working out an arrangement with the owner or taking him/her to civil court if you believe your business is adversely affected.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
No other XP machine is having a wireless card, so I don't think someone from us is running its own AP.
Thanks so far!j.
If it was coming from a XP machine the AP list on the Nokia would show it with the ad-hoc symbol; it has the small dot on top of the icon.

...and yes, the power you can run your AP, or any transmission, is regulated by the government. I guess by the FCC.

Last edited by bluesubaru; 2008-03-03 at 21:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluesubaru For This Useful Post: