Notices

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Wormux ported to OS2008, runs... acceptable On some maps you'll get 7-10 fps, on others close to 20 fps. Network game works, tried with my home computer and was beaten by myself Sound is not working yet... if it is working for you, tell me.

Warning: The game requires swap. Without swap file Wormux dies on map load, sometimes may even reset the device. I won't be held responsible if you break your device.

I'll try to remove the backgrounds to get it to run faster than now.

Okay, screenshot:

File:
http://maemobox.org/bundyo/wormux_0.8beta4-2_armel.deb
Almost forgot: the file is 50MB.

EDIT: New version is up. Managed to squeeze some more fps. Removed flying particles completely and reduced the number of waves to 1 on water levels.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-08-06 at 14:57.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Ok thank you but this deb does not install to internal flash right? (I mean the data files)

It installs to /usr/share/wormux you can move it with symlink.

I don't like relocating to the cards, but if everyone wants it - no problem.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I would like to put in a vote for /media/mmc2/share like ukki uses please?

I can't install it because my flash only has 40MB left. Does the install run any scripts? If not, then I will attempt to unpack it.

Thanks.

No scripts.

Some people don't have mmc2, you know

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Bundy, you're productive guy!! Thanks

Bundyo, I found it easiest to make the games look for datafiles from PWD, then make a startup script that checks both cards. If it finds the data, it changes to that dir and runs the executable from /usr/bin. You can copy my postinst/run script from airstrike for example. Just be sure to also add a chown for the data files (which i've forgotten) for people that boot from mmcs. Just a suggestion though . Thanks for the port, hope you get sound working.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Update - check the first post.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Thanks. This one was not going anywhere with me. (though to be fair i was trying with a 770)

Problem with datafiles in debs is they always first get extracted to / tree when dpkg first unpacks the deb - even if you move them to mmc in postinst (afaict). Or can this be done in preinst?

I really don't see a solution to this besides putting them all in a seperate archive that user must download to mmc. Any more ideas on this? Ideally we'd want a game with exe and libs taking only 1-2MB to be able to install on a system with <=4 MB free, while magically putting data files on mmc.

(and /media/mmcX/share is my preference as a standard dir for that type of thing)

(edit) One possibility is to split $game.deb into $game-bin.deb and $game-data.deb and make them non-dependent on each other for pkg-manager.

Users who have sufficient space could then install both debs (from website link, package-manager from repo, or install from file).
For users w/o sufficient space, the game binary would have a launcher frontend which, if gamedata not found, would prompt user to specify location of the downloaded $game-data.deb and extract (ar x) that to the /media/mmcX/share/$game directory. I know that's a bit involved, but I can't come up with a simple solution that works around the core problem of dpkg extracting all the game data to root filesystem first, before package scripting can take effect.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-03-05 at 19:13. Reason: extension and commentary

Or the installer can download them from the web on postinst.
Deb installation fails if it tries to directly unpack the files to vfat (tries to set permissions). Maybe if we can force it to not set them.