Active Topics

Hey guys, just got an n800 and i want to pair it for internet access via data packet to my e65 sitting on the 3 uk network on an x-series silver tariff.

now, the n800 pairs with the e65 but when it tries to connect, the connection symbol flashes alot before the n800 flags up an error.

does this mean 3 uk wont let me do this or am i just doing something wrong here?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Did you select your service provider in the phone icon in control panel?

Yes, i chose 3 from the uk section. Sorry, i forgot to say that the specific error was that the n800 could not connect to the internet so from that it is either timing out or the connection is being refused.

Prestwick, did you set the N800 as a trusted device on your E65? You can see a list of trusted devices in the phone's Bluetooth section.

Another possibility is that 3 is blocking you from using the phone as a Bluetooth modem unless you pay extra. If that's the case, you'd have to get in touch with their customer service and ask about it.

Ah, that might be it. I will get in touch with 3 customer services for clarification and get back to you guys. I did add it as a trusted device.

Prestwick, looks like it is 3 that is blocking you from using it:

http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/showthread.php?t=69742

3 will say NO flatly if you ask them to use handset as modem when on X Series as it is not allowed despite the fact that it is possible. Its their policy as there is another package available for modem connection.
I hate the way some phone networks do this. There's no technical reason why modem use should cost any more than phone data, it's using the phone network in exactly the same way.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Thanks. I read that linked thread and followed their advice. Sadly, still nothing.

If i do sort something out, i'll be sure to post my findings here!

thanks for the help and the welcome!!

Originally Posted by Prestwick View Post
Thanks. I read that linked thread and followed their advice. Sadly, still nothing.

If i do sort something out, i'll be sure to post my findings here!

thanks for the help and the welcome!!
I think you're not actually meant to use that thread's advice, as it breaks the terms of your agreement with 3. It's possible that 3 has blocked whatever loophole the thread discovered.

Whatever the case, your best option would be to ring 3 and ask them what tariff you have to have to use your phone as a Bluetooth modem.

I did and the reply was rather strange. I couldn't do it over x-series, but could with a mobile broadband tariff. But i would not be able to surf on my phone like i do now unlimited with that tariff. Nor, it seems, can i add the two tariffs together so it is either one or the other!

As a happy ending, i dug out an old 2.5g nokia and an old t-mobile sim card. End result, me surfing on my n800 slowly on the train!! thanks for all your help!

The Following User Says Thank You to Prestwick For This Useful Post: