Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Jyväskylä, Finland
New unstable version of Other Maemo Weather (version 0.20) is released with exciting new functionality. This version is not stable so please report any bugs you found on it to bug tracker in the OMweathers garage page. You can get this version only from the download section in the OMweathers garage page or extras-devel repository.

Now OMweather can be set to receive weather station location automatically when ever user has an active GPS-connection on her tablet. Idea for this is based to Jussi Kukkonen's idea Why GeoClue Matters, based originally to ideas from Henri Bergius, Tuomas Kuosmanen and Andrew Turner.

To enable GPS-functionality:
  1. Install version 0.20
  2. Reboot internet tablet
  3. Activate OMweather settings and select "Enable station from GPS:" box in the "Locations" tab
  4. Run Maemo Mapper or Map application included in OS2008 and wait for a GPS-fix
  5. New weather station can be found on a "Locations" tab after two minutes.

Version 0.20 has now also it's own help page in the tablet. It can be opened using tablets help application (My selection/Help) or touching small question mark on top right corner of OMweathers settings window. Default icon set is changed to Glance (see picture) and it's made by Andrew Jilin.

Other new features in this version are:
  • Added finger friendlier way to change weather station
  • Possibility to change weather station order in the settings window
  • "Swap hi/low temperature" setting is moved to other tab in settings window
  • Confirmation dialog is added for station deletion
  • Added new icons to show Moon phase and it's shown only in the first icon
  • Italian translation has been added
  • New "Combination" layout added (see picture)

Some bugs have been also fixed:
  • Fixed error: while station data xml file is absence, displaying weather data is garbage
  • Fixed error while calculate days offset
  • Fixed error with last icon displaying, when visible items less then 10
  • Fixed error with displaying "Feel like" parameter

Next release (version 0.20.1) should be ready on 25. April.
Attached Images

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mve For This Useful Post:
Nice update - in particular the get from GPS option.

I uninstalled the earlier version totally and installed 0.20.
It found my GPS location from the Map application on my N810. (I had the default of Changsha and New York already in the system)

Perfect so far.

But the finger frindly option that you mention - dont see that at all. Menus are still the same size as before and selecting with finger is pretty dicey. The arrow to change weather station is so small that it doesnt seem possible to navigate with finger accurately.

Combination View under Interface Tab is pretty good too - though uses up a lot of screen space, but that is a choice left to user.

Nice overall.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Stable for me so far but I'm not using GPS. The GPS function would be used by me on the rare occasion that I'm a stranger in a strange land. Otherwise it's a vanity feature that seems it would use up resources on a limited connection...

Can't wait for the moon phase to show up in the combo view at night. I'm assuming that's the direction the programing is going.

mve, super applet! I have a suggestion that is very far afield but might be cool. With the combination setup, I think it would be cool to be able to see the local time for each of the stations. I know that's not what the OM Weather applet is designed for; however, I think it would put a cool spin on the idea of a world time clock.

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Excellent, and very useful app!

As far as applet layout is concerned, I liked the previous version in that the arrows that toggle the stations are up on top. The new version, where the arrows are on the sides of the icon row, seems a little less compact to me. But, great app overall!

Could not the arrow icons be made larger. In spite of selecting font size as large, the arrows are too small to navigate by finger. Invariably I seem to press often the sidebar when trying to press on the left arrow, as its too small. Have to take out the stylus for clicking on arrow.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
Excellent, and very useful app!

As far as applet layout is concerned, I liked the previous version in that the arrows that toggle the stations are up on top. The new version, where the arrows are on the sides of the icon row, seems a little less compact to me. But, great app overall!
I support this. I prefer the previous placement for those arrows.

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Colorado, USA
Yeahhhh, transparency works now and no longer annoying flash of the app when changing stations on the weather display. I like the idea of updating weather data automatically when NIT connects to internet.

This application looks good. Can you tell me if this application uses the Geoclue 'API'? Also how does the connection to weather.com work? Do you use some API can be used. Anyway thumbs up for the good work.

The Following User Says Thank You to icer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 1,903 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Belarus
Originally Posted by icer View Post
This application looks good. Can you tell me if this application uses the Geoclue 'API'? Also how does the connection to weather.com work? Do you use some API can be used. Anyway thumbs up for the good work.
Omweather does not use Geoclue 'API'. I couldn't find GeoClue for OS2008(chinook).Instead it I used Liblocation
http://maemo.org/development/documen....html#Location
And for for weather forecast applet uses Weather.com's free XML service.

Vlad.