Notices

Ok so ive been through this forum like always and searching for an answer before i post with no luck. So here goes...
Does anyone know of an open source app that will rip DVD's so that I can throw one or two on my 770 for an upcoming trip? I dont even need something that will break the *newest* encryptions (although it would be nice), since the ones I want to take were produced about 4-5 years ago. Any ideas? If i could just get them into a playable file, I could then use the media converter to make them the right size and bitrate... And suggestions?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
If you use a ripper such as Handbrake (on Mac OS X) you can use kontorri's Media Converter on the resulting file.

My own media converting script (again using mencoder from MPlayer) can rip a DVD directly. Details here:

http://bleb.org/software/770/#encode

HTH,

Andrew

Anytime i use this, all i get is a "Failed to get movie info" error... Ive tried giving it just the dvd drive and the full path to the main IFO file with no avail... Any suggestions?

------------------

Ok... that was all just due to a typo on my part... whoops... But now im getting another error
"FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver"
But when I use mplayer to play the video, it works just fine...
Any ideas?

Last edited by Solace; 2006-04-26 at 19:56.

Solace,

It sounds like a problem with your mencoder not having a DivX encoding ability. Can you send me the output to andrew@bleb.org?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Well i seemed to have fix the problem... Not even sure what was causing it entirely... I think it was just a copy protection problem possibly... I Ripped the DVD to my computer first with something called "Dvd Rip-o-matic" Into one huge avi and then used the script and it worked perfect... Tried the script alone on a non-protected DVD and it worked just fine... Thanks alot!

Odd. It could be the mencoder you have doesn't have the appropriate anti-CSS code in its dependent libraries.

Glad it worked for you though! More presets are definitely required and I'm not convinced "best" couldn't be bumped up slightly.

Cheers,

Andrew