Active Topics

First off, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this.

Is there a way to remove the bootsplash from the N810's initfs (the Nokia logo and/or the hands)? I'm fiddling with Debian, but, so far as I can tell, if you don't start X11, you can't see anything on the screen (eg, access the CLI).

Thanks.

EDIT: Or remove the "booting from mmc3, external SD, ext2" from fanoush's initfs? That's more likely the culprit.

Last edited by Capn_Fish; 2008-04-09 at 23:11.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Look in the init scripts folder, the progress bars, nokia logo and big nokia splash are just run via init scripts.

But you know the system is set to shutdown if the X-Server init script is stopped? (For OS2008 at least, no idea about Debian)

I doubt it but if you really want to remove it:
${T2S} -c
${T2S} -s 2 -H center -y 20 -T 0 -t "Booting from ${default_root} (${root_dev} ${root_fstype})..."
Comment out those lines in bootmenu.sh. It may be worth noting that they really don't do much.

First T2S clears the screen, 2nd one places the message there.
And a lot messages come up when you press menu and even before as the prompt to press menu.

You may also need to recompile kernel for FB support which kept giving me failed compiles and when I did get it to work, my N800 would power off each time on startup.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-04-10 at 07:19.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Unless you flash a custom kernel with CONFIG_FB_MANUAL_UPDATE=y (sp??) you won't be able to use the command line, even without the boot splash.

EDIT: I should add that this option seems to mess with scaling while watching videos. There's no way to win.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
Unless you flash a custom kernel with CONFIG_FB_MANUAL_UPDATE=y (sp??) you won't be able to use the command line, even without the boot splash.

EDIT: I should add that this option seems to mess with scaling while watching videos. There's no way to win.
Hehe, thanks

I just realised I had this turned on. Does this option have any advantages to keeping it on?

EDIT: I have CONFIG_FB_OMAP_MANUAL_UPDATE=y , same thing?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
I think extra kernel with just CONFIG_FB_OMAP_MANUAL_UPDATE=y is not really needed. I guess people do it just for simplicity. You can switch between manual and auto mode at runtime with framebuffer OMAPFB_SET_UPDATE_MODE ioctl call. CONFIG_FB_OMAP_MANUAL_UPDATE=y is just default what kernel uses at boot time. IMO easier is to write command that can do the switch and no extra kernel is needed. When talking about it, I could perhaps add such command to initfs and have it it as bootmenu item option just like filesystem type or root device name.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Wow. That's great! I had no idea that you could switch it at runtime. O_o

-John

here is quick example
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/fb_update_mode.tar.gz

at least on 770 you can see change in kernel log but it should work on n8x0 too (maybe with no message in log)

call it like
./fb_update_mode manual
./fb_update_mode auto

EDIT:

I have updated the archive and added statically linked and uclibc version for 770, you can copy static version to any initfs or run it in rootfs, uclibc770 only to 770's initfs and hack bootmenu to run it at boot time. This may be useful for direct framebuffer access like running OPIE etc.

For text console you also need additional framebuffer console modules or kernel with framebuffer console compiled in (the stock one has it disabled). Modules are inside
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/modules-2...-custom.tar.gz for N8x0/OS2008
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/4.2007-modules.tar.gz for N800/OS2007
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/modules-3.2006.49-2.tar.gz for 770
in drivers/video/console

I never tried it but maybe it works :-) Let me know if you try.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-04-11 at 06:48. Reason: N800/OS2007 modules link added

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
I never tried it but maybe it works :-) Let me know if you try.
Tried with 770 when in bootmenu over usb networking and it works. Set mode to auto, insert all modules in video/console and voila black console with plenty of boot stuff appears. Hmm, with usb keyboard for 770/N800 or N810's keyboard one could even run pure text mode stuff on the tablet (like debian without X) or boot into some single user recovery mode. Time to add all this to bootmenu :-)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Woot, fanoush, you are great.

Off to try this out

BTW: If you don't mind me asking, what kernel config options do I need to set/disable? I'd prefer compiling in kernel rather than insmod'ing modules at initfs.

Text only repair mode would be great... USB keyboard's a bit of a hassle, but understandable. (I'm currently running stock initfs on N800, but I'll be reflashing, initfsing, and mmcbooting in a few days... might get some spinning wheels too, where'd you get 'em, Faheem?)

Tags
framebuffer