Active Topics

hello,

Maybe I'm wrong cuz im new to this thing, but instead of using a female A-Female A adapter to access usb host mode, can't you use two usb hubs instead?
I've been able to use usb control to switch to host mode, i have two hubs and when it is connected correctly, the light on my usb flashes up but when i open up filemanager i can't see it there
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by chinedu40; 2008-04-13 at 14:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to chinedu40 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Norway
why would you see the hub in file manager? you have to connect something to the hub

im not aiming to see the hub in the filemanager, im aiming to see my usb memory stick which iz connected to one of the two hubs that im using. juz to reiterate my usb memory stick light is on when connected and the only thing that could be powering it is my N800, but i cannot see the usb memory stick in filemanager

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
If the hub is a powered hub then it should work. Don't try to power anything from the N8 port itself.

does it need to be a powered hub? if so why?

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
like I said in two of your posts, yes it needs to be powered, because the NIT doesn't supply power over USB and you wouldn't want it to, just use a powered hub. I haven't played much with it but it worked no problem using a powered hub.

wt equipment did u use 2 get it to work.....cuz i don't want 2 go and buy a powered hub only for it not to work

Look up OTG adapter by Jolouis. He sells an inexpensive custom made adapter for Nxx users that when you download his small app. it will automatically switch to USB host mode. OTG adapter also will allow you to connect an ethernet cable for wired connections in hotels and offices that don't have wireless capabilities. OTG adapter also allows you to connect and use wired or wireless mouses(Bluetooth and/or USB models). The OTG adapter is plug and play. Really amazing tool that Jolouis contributed. You need a powered mouse. With OTG adapter it doesn't matter which powered hub you use. If you want to be safe, in the OTG adapter thread many people comment about which powered hub they are using. I've been using OTG adapter for a month and it has preformed without any problems. Hope this helps, Dan

The Following User Says Thank You to dan For This Useful Post:
The NIT CAN indeed supply power over its USB connection, it is however limited in how much it can put out - 100 or 200 ma max, I forget.... This should be enough for a flashdrive (mine works), but not for things like a (non-powered) Hard Drive, or something. Also, the hubs take power to run...

I think that the problem you are having is that you are hooking the hubs up the wrong way, so to speak - there is only one connection that is designed to be connected to the computer, and it will not (I do not believe) work if you connect to one of the 'inputs' -- for this reason I do NOT think your 2 hub strategy will work (I could be wrong).

What I did, is purchase a USB Female A to Female A adapter on amazon.com - it is only $1 - $2, I believe, and it slips over the end of the cable you already have to give you a single usb port. Use the software you already have to enable Host Mode, and you are ready to go. If you need to hook up more than one thing at a time, then get a hub (powered would be best) and hook it up to the adapter instead (either way, you need an Fem A - Fem A adapter).

Alternately, you could buy the OTG adapter mentioned above - it replaces the FemA - FemA and stock USB cable I use, with the added advantage of switching automatically (no need to switch modes in software).

Hope this helps,
Patrick

The Following User Says Thank You to Starcruiser1229 For This Useful Post: