Last week I built a toy robot for my daughter out of a cardboard box carefully leaving space in the head for my 770. A quick install of flite and an ssh from my laptop and we now have a talking robot.

Code:
flite
My name is Robbie the robot
Ctrl-D
Great fun.

Next up is Numpty Phsyics. Really do install this if you get a chance. You may need to read a few threads and use the dpkg --force-depends but once up and running it is quite mind bending and really is one of the most original gameplay concepts I have seen for quite a while.

Last but not least was converting a few (legitimate) mp4 videos so I have a bit of video to watch if I get bored. Media Convertor from the garage is so simple to get running on my Intel Mac and pretty fast too. Great quality playback from mplayer even with the old version that I am running.

There is still plenty of life in 2007HE for me yet although I need to find time to run my 2008HE install more regularly as it was surprisingly usable.

Cheers,
John

I'm in the process of converting a bunch of photos to n770 resolution for use as a digital photo frame.

I really wish there was a good alarm clock app.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Installed 2008HE about 2 weeks ago, followed quickly by personal menu, and nuvoclear2. My main use continues to be as a ebook reader (using fbreader), and email notifier. I used to and would still use it as a internet radio appliance, but the headphone output has been reduced to mono again (I need to open it up and solder the connection again). I also occasionally use if for light web browsing, tried fennec, but didn't see significant improvement, chalked that up to hardware rather than software since the consensus seems to be that it results in an improved browsing experience on the n8x0s.

Right now my wife is making a Thomas The Tank Engine & Friends related cake to our 3-year-old boy who likes Thomas a lot. Well, as we don't have a color printer right now (OK, we do, but we're rather lazy on installing it), a couple of minutes ago my wife had to walk from the kitchen to the living room's desktop computer to see what colors the cake must use, but I harnessed the big-screened 770 to do the dirty job - I resized and sent the image of the model onto the 770 and opened it on the device, put it in full screen and now my wife can look from the 770 what colors the cake must use

BTW. Too bad the screen options didn't have the selection "Screen always on" so my wife has to click on the screen once in two minutes :I

But it's somewhat practical after all, I'd say. I think she thanks me some day for being a complete handheld computer and mobile phone geek

Last edited by Sera; 2008-04-22 at 18:59.

I've been streaming movies to my 770 from my Ubuntu desktop machine using apache2. I use MediaConverter to make them into 400x240@384kbps in a batch. For example, I converted the last half dozen episodes of Lost, so I could watch them in bed or on the toilet or whatever. I used a trick I got from this forum to switch the default video player to mplayer, which works a lot better. I also make all my music available in this way and listen on headphones.

I use sshfs to mount a remote drive to a subfolder in MyDocs. That way I can save files from whatever I'm doing and have them go to my desktop machine where I have much more storage space.

Uhh.. then I had to flash my 770, because there is something wrong with the screen calibration, and I was hoping it was a software problem. It wasn't, unfortunately. Luckily, it's still under warranty, so it's away getting repaired. I'm dealing with serious withdrawal due to the loss of my Nokia. I can't believe how attached I've become and how much I use it. I can't wait for it to come back. I originally bought my 770 for $130 from Buy.com when they dropped in price, but I see now that it's worth a lot more than that to me. I might buy an N810 if my 770 is ever lost or broken beyond repair.

These IT's are so useful. It's too bad they didn't think of the things I want to do with my Nokia, so that I don't have to do so much hacking on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Makurosu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sera View Post
BTW. Too bad the screen options didn't have the selection "Screen always on" so my wife has to click on the screen once in two minutes :I
Extend Blanking Time

You can add values to get the blanking/dimming to be much longer. Very nice, especially with my 770, since it blanks when I close the lid.

desiv

Last edited by desiv; 2008-04-23 at 18:09.

Originally Posted by Makurosu View Post
I've been streaming movies to my 770 from my Ubuntu desktop machine using apache2. I use MediaConverter to make them into 400x240@384kbps in a batch. For example, I converted the last half dozen episodes of Lost, so I could watch them in bed or on the toilet or whatever.
Have you tried mediaserv?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Can't you set the screen to "always on when on the charger" - in the control panel?

Originally Posted by ukki View Post
Have you tried mediaserv?
No, I haven't - thank you. I'll try it out when my 770 comes back from the shop.