Active Topics

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Hi,

i've extended my little gpxview geocaching application and i am proud to announce that it has it first "first to find" . While it started as a simple viewer for so called GPX files, it has recently evolved into a simple complete geocaching solution.

See http://www.harbaum.org/till/maemo/index.shtml#gpxview for details.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Looks nice, I will give it a try next weekend!

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
you're going to force me to go shopping for a bluetooth GPS for my n800, aren't you?

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=18932 has some info; I'd have gotten that one if I hadn't blown $50 on an inferior unit the week before tz1 posted...

Hmm it doesn't work for me with the gpx files from opengeocaching.de (For an example, this one: http://www.opencaching.de/viewcache.php?cacheid=114326 ) Any chance to get opengeocaching support, cause you only get the gpx files from geocaching.com if you pay for it...

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by zeez View Post
Hmm it doesn't work for me with the gpx files from opengeocaching.de (For an example, this one: http://www.opencaching.de/viewcache.php?cacheid=114326 ) Any chance to get opengeocaching support, cause you only get the gpx files from geocaching.com if you pay for it...
I have taken a look at those files. Argh ... they just decided to name everything "just a little different". Probably for copyright reasons ... Plus they added some errors like e.g. the html descriptions are tagged "html=false". So for now my tool won't render the html.

Anyway, i have most of the stuff done and my OC test cache already looks fine. But some work is still to be done (e.g. have to figure out all those strings for types, comntainers, find-types etc etc ...).

An OC capable version will be out soon.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Will it work with geocaching .loc files?

loc files only contain the coordinates, no description and hints i think. So it would not be as useful...

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by zeez View Post
loc files only contain the coordinates, no description and hints i think. So it would not be as useful...
I know it's limited, but I only do the occasional cache when on holiday, so not enough to justify subscribing to the premium service to get access to the gpx files. What can I say, I'm cheap

I love the concept of having the direction arrow built in but I am having some problems with the implementation of the direction arrow.

I have an 810 and was using the internal gps. I had to fire up maemo mapper to get the gps working, it did not seem to start up just correctly with just gpxview. A number of satalites visible or locked would also be helpful.

Once it was working I shut down meamo mapper and started driving towards the cache. I all of sudden noticed that I was over 4000 miles away from the cache. I refired meamo mapper and then gpxview came back being just a couple of miles away.

I also noticed that the direction arrow bounced around a alot. I had to rely more on the distance reading and walk in circles to figure out which direction to go.

Overall I love the concept and can't wait for this to get better. I know this will take some time to fine tune. I am just offering my feedback to help with that process.

Keep up the great work!