Active Topics

Hi, I've been having major problems with my Nokia. At first I believed the problem to be with certain less-than-stable software applications; however, some of the more recent problems seem to suggest more basic problems either with the memory card or the device itself.

I bought a brand new 1 gig SanDisk RAM card.

First, I haven't updated the firmware (and am holding off until I figure out what's going on here). does anyone believe the firmware has changes that will address these problems?

The problem is that I've been losing a lot of files that I put on my memory card. These are files I've created using Abiword, Gnumeric and the generic Notes program. Here are some symptoms/complicating factors:

--sometimes the file manager will just lose the flash memory card (and all its contents). This doesn't happen when it first starts (at least, I haven't noticed it). I just won't be able to access them.

--after rebooting (or at some point when I can see the flash memory card again, some of the files which I saved on the card appear missing and or corrupt.

--would sometime mind telling me why maemo applications can't remember which directory it opened last? THat usually means that I have to manually browse up to the root directory and then down to the card again. For example, If I want to save more than one file to a card directory, I end up having to browse to the card each and every time I save. I can't tell you how much this annoys me. Is this a problem with the application itself or the OS?

--memory on the device is extremely limited. Why oh why would most applications default to saving in the device memory and not on external memory? Isn't this the most ***-backward way to do things?

--as far as I can tell the top file directory (audio clips, Documents, Images, Video clips) is merely a virtual representation of files, even if the files actually reside in different directories in external memory. Perhaps this was done for convenience, but in fact that makes it difficult for the user to see memory usage. Also, it defies any sort of user-initiated hierarchical organization (except if it's on the memory card, which as I indicate above, is unreliable and impossible to set as default).

I'm at the point of concluding that something is seriously defective. My Nokia is essentially unusable. If the problem is merely the flash card, how would I be able to ascertain this? (I have the 64 MB flash card, and I haven't tried that yet; I'm going to do this now). A

Finally, I haven't really paid attention, but is it possible that the "lazy memory card" problem could be related to battery level?

Robert Nagle

Last edited by idiotprogrammer; 2006-05-10 at 02:51.

you might want to try and reformat the disk and maybe a scandisk if possible

The Following User Says Thank You to c_legaspi For This Useful Post: