I installed OS2008HE on my n770 and everything seems noticably more peppy than previous versions. That is, everything except for the internet browsing. It is painfully slow and pretty much unusable. A friend has a n770 and has seen the same result.

Is there anything I can do? Or do I basically have to go back to 2007?

Thanks.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
MicroB in 2008 eats too much memory. Try using only one browser window or anohter browser (but for instance Midori is almost as slow).

Also search for some MicroB optimizations in the forum.

Aye, this is pretty unfortunate. Other than the browser, 2008 runs beautifully.

Yup. that's why i'm still using it and trying to port the old Opera (no luck as of yet )

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
I had it booted from the external MMC. It's still very slow. Is it supposed to have more memory when running from MMC instead of the internal flash? Or is there a problem with memory access?

Does anyone know?

RAM on 770 is only 64MB and that's the main problem - too little for OS2008. No MMC boot is going to change that (but if you have the fanoush kernel maybe swap will have faster access.

One thing I found that helps a little is to turn off the Windows/Real plugin in components. It still hangs on some websites but it helps.

fanoush SDHC kernel (48MHz in my case) solve the speed problem beautifully by speeding up the swap with no need to boot from the MMC card. The difference is particularly noticeable with the browser which use the swap heavily.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krystan For This Useful Post: