I seem to be more successful with the sudo method. I tried the gainroot method and the debbie script seems to have problems in that it doesn't give user root access (ie runs the debian script as user instead of root, might be the EOF line?).
Also having difficulty with the bootmenu.conf. It appears that the new bootmenu.sh doesn't require the bootmenu.conf anymore. But I tried to specify a bootmenu.conf with mmc2 instead of immc2 and ended with the same results. I also tried this command:
chroot /mnt/initfs cal-tool -R ask:immc2
suggested by fanoush in his post #116 of this thread. Not really sure what this command is doing or how I should run it.

I might try formatting my external 4gb card and give that a go when I get some more time. I seem to be so close but not there just yet.

You don't need a bootmenu.conf; it just overrides the defaults in the bootmenu.sh...

That cal-tool command is setting it to always bring up the menu, and default to the entry labeled immc2. You need to be root, and just type it at the xterm.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by job4031 View Post
I thought I had the chroot solution setup to run debian apps from hildon. I can run the script debian as root and launch for example xclock with this command:
debian xclock
But when I try to follow these instructions and run the program as user it seems to launch, but then ask for a password. I have tried rootme but it returns authentication fail. I haven't launched debian directly from the mmc should that matter? Would this be asking for the hildon root password or the debian root password? Pressing on.
I would strongly recommend (Benson's) sudo method, and there should be no password requests with that method. Remember, if you're using the sudo method, you MUST add the "user ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL" line using visudo. You may need to reboot after making this change.

Well, thanks for the help but I think I am going to have to reformat and try another day from square one on a re-flashed N800. I currently am using the sudo method by adding the user ALL line via visudo above all the other user ALL lines and am still unable to launch debian apps via hildon. And after a few changes and reboots I am not even able to find apps via the debbie script. Originally debbie script would launch the hilda script and a debian app but ask for a password, now the debbie script can not even find the hilda script or debian apps. Frustrating, but hopefully I can get this working sometime. I like the challenge, but sometimes I wish the solutions would just work. Thanks johnx for putting together this debian tarball, and everyone else for the suggestions.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by job4031 View Post
I like the challenge, but sometimes I wish the solutions would just work.
Yeah, I know how you feel.

I'm really wondering if I should get someone to help me put together some kind of chroot .deb file that asks for the location of the chroot, then installs appropriately-modified scripts and does the setup work automatically. Perhaps it could even install an example menu icon. Anyone with packaging experience interested?

How do you fix the bad pointer behaviour ? I have tried the proposed wiki method but it does not change much.

Regards

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Minneapolis

The Following User Says Thank You to superfisch For This Useful Post:
Perfect ! Now navigating around is much more better !

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Amazon-Belém
Here a solution for right and middle mouse buttons:
http://maemo.vivaphp.net/dists/chino...0.10_armel.deb

Dependences:
http://maemo.vivaphp.net/dists/chino...0.14_armel.deb
http://maemo.vivaphp.net/dists/chino..._0.9_armel.deb

This have a /etc/keylaunchrc
Use MENU+click to RIGHT click
Use CHR+click to MIDDLE click

This was tested on:
1- MAEMO + Freeciv (game)
2- KDE 3.5.8 under MAEMO (booted from SD)
3- Debian (booted from SD)

This uses sources from OZ project and stay at 2.0.10 version
Howto here:
http://wiki.openzaurus.org/HowTos/Keylaunch

On debian:
- you need run xset -r 70 to disable MENU key repeat
- Change Multi_key to Meta_R on /etc/keylaunchrc file

on maemo
- you need run xset -r 135 to disable CHR key repeat

Now I need do a sh script to load keylaunch and a init script to put on init.d .... and put on my repo...

More info here: http://anunakin.blogspot.com !

Any help is welcome!! ;-)

Last edited by Anunakin; 2008-06-04 at 21:02. Reason: More info

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anunakin For This Useful Post:
Argh... where's my chr key on an N800?

I'll have to look at it, and see if it can be remapped to something I've got... I had thought about the camera (In = left, Out = right, Out and flipped = middle), but hadn't got to do anything yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

Tags
debian, deblet