Active Topics

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
UPDATED to v4

Whats new in v4, the problem outlined below, and Microb shortcut on the desktop.

Shortcuts added
CTRL + (hildon menu button) = COPY
SHIFT + (hildon menu button) = paste

updated the installer for Diablo.

NEW UPDATE
xmodmap.desktop was left off the deb, so install this if you want these shortcuts (see below) you need to install this deb.
Then you will have the following shortcuts
(Fn + >) TAB Key
(Fn + <) | (PIPE KEY)
FN + Backspace = [
Shift + Backspace = ]
Shift + Minus = {
Shift + Plus = }
Shift + ? = `

Install http://penguinbait.com/kde-xmodmap.deb

YOU NEED TO RESTART KDE

------------------------------------------------------

BUG Discovered??? in v3

I found if you are running on N810 and you are not using xmodmap the (Fn) key seems to be not working. or working unreliably. I have not figured out what is happening yet. If I run xmodon from xterm and restart KDE it all works great.

This may only become an issue if you are running a N810 with non-USA environment. N800 should not be an issue (I am reloading right now). I do not see how this could effect 800 since it does not have an Fn key. Perhaps some people can look at xmodon if you are using other enviroment and provide xmodmap files to be used?

Still trying to determine if this will be an actual problem for anyone, please let me know your experiences.

KDE358 PBv3 Codename ZELDA - DEB (for boot from SD)

THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE ALREADY BOOTING FROM SD CARDS

Boot from SD installer thread
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=19639

I am developing a DEB to install KDE on boot from SD devices. The DEB will download KDE and install it. It also has a md5sum check and will redownload from where it left off. Also if you lose connectivity durring install process, you can just reconnect and it will start right where it left off. Although the application manager will jjust keep running until it can finish.

NOTE, this works with my Boot from SD DEB, but 2GB is the minimum to install (FRESH FLASH WILL WORK). and it comes very close to running out of space. Once complete on the 2GB card, there is about 340MB free. If nothing else is installed. Its really tight on the 2GB card because the installer downloads the KDE install files to the same partition it installs them too. YOU MUST HAVE About 1.35GB FREE to start the KDE install process. It will remove the KDE tarballs after the install completes.

Additionally removing the deb, will remove the remaining install files and leave KDE install in tact.

HOW TO Monitor Install Progress
once the install process is started, it will download KDE and install it. You can view the progress of this in xterm

ls -l /root/kde-installer

or

open web-browser and go to

/root/kde-installer

(refreshing will allow you to see the KDE358 300MB file incrementing.)

If you notice its less than 300MB and its not incrementing, verify your internet connection is still working. Once it gets to 308MB it will start the un-tar process, and remove itself when it completes successfully. It will then start the SUPv2 download in the same way.

It could take a couple of hours to complete. Mine seemed to run a little over an hour, but I did not actually time it. Also internet connection speed will vary install times.

INSTALL PROCESS

1) READ ABOVE

2) DID YOU READ ABOVE (Many people just dont read things before installing things. Well especially if its from me, You should read and ask any questions prior to install.

2.5) For the PEOPLE who refuse to read, please it only takes a minute. Read 2) again

3) Got to http://penguinbait.com (while booted from SD card)

4) Right Click on "KDE INSTALLER v3" (save target as)

or here >
http://penguinbait.com/kde-installer-v4.deb

5) Save the file somewhere

6) open application manager and using the menu, select "install from file" , select the file you just saved

7) Sit back and wait it may be a while!!!!

8) When the application manager finishes the install cleanly, you may remove the package. A failing install may be re-ran, but if you remove it first, your download will start all over again.

9) You should reboot before running KDE, to ensure all the proper services are started boot time.

Updates: from v2

removes xmodmap from Autostart
from xterm run xmodon to place back in AutoStart and then restart KDE to take effect
from xterm run xmodoff to remove the xmodmap setting from AutoStart and restart 800/810

Include battery-status
You still need to install python

Include flite executable
Also configure kopete and konqueror to use kttsmgr by default

Include USB mouse package with BT support

Create bluetooth mouse script for connecting mouse (pretty cool)
Icon replaces Maemo-Mapper on taskbar. Maemo-Mapper Icon moved to Desktop

Include color-ls (because I wanted to)

removed old files in /usr/local/kde/share/wallpapers

Added keyboard shortcut for switching between apps
(CTRL + FN)

added theme (Zelda)
old theme penguinbait (v2) is still available.

#10 Bluetooth Stack

And I think this concludes the v3 updates

Additional useful things to know

TASKBAR
--------------------
battery-status is now included, but until you install python2.5-runtime for the battery icon on the taskbar to work., it will also notify you if it get low. (dont ask)

open xterm and type
apt-get install python2.5-runtime

usb icon on taskbar toggles otg / host mode

red terminal = root xterm

black terminal = user xterm

hildon connection manager

hildon application manager

hildon control panel

BT mouse script. I wrote a script using kdialog. when pressed it will scan for bluetooth devices, and display a list for you to choose from. When chosen it will connect to the device and mouse will start working. (Best to press the button on taskbar, then press the pair button on the mouse. )
(Also note that I only tested on targus mouse which requires no pairing. If your device requires pairing, you should be able to pair in control panel and then use the taskbar to connect. ? ) PS (MAKE SURE BLUETOOTH IS ENABLED IN HILDON CONTROL PANEL)
--------------------

Look at hildon display dimming timeouts, you can turn on up to 24hours (1440) minutes

sets pty = 24

N800
onscreen keyboard can be started from (KDE Menu > Utilities > kvkbd)

Shortcuts 810
(CTRL + Fn) (like ALT - TAB) Toggles Applications
(CTRL + SWAP KEY) Move Window
(SHIFT + SWAP KEY) Switch to next Desktop
(SWAP KEY) Toggle right click / left click (N800 HOME KEY)
(CTRL + ZOOM -) Minimize Window
(CTRL + ZOOM +) Maximize Window
(CTRL + FULLSCREEN) Close Window
CTRL + (hildon menu button) = COPY
SHIFT + (hildon menu button) = paste

qjoypad comes with KDE, you can map usb joystick buttons to any key. runs in hildon and kde

Just because I know its coming:
(SWAP KEY) = The little window looking button on the 810 or HOME key on the 810
(SWAP KEY is listed on my 810 documentation, so don't ask me?)

I am sure I am missing something, looking forward as always,

FLITE is installed, if you want more voices or spanish, use, festival ---------------------------

untar in /home/user
-----------------------------
cd /home/user

tar zxvf /path/to/fest.tgz

-----------------------------

Open KDE, go to "Control Center"

Click "Regional Settings"

Select "Text-to-Speech"

Click "Talkers" (Tab)

Click "ADD"

Make sure the "Synthesizer" is "Festival Interactive" and

Click OK

Where it says "Festival Executable" put in /home/user/festival/bin/festival

Click "Rescan"

Select the voice you want, Its got more than just spanish

American Female
3 American Males
Canadian English Male
Scottish Male
British Male
Castilian Spanish Male

Click OK (Or you can "test") It sounds like spanish but what do I know

festival
http://penguinbait.com/fest.tgz

festival with docs and all
http://penguinbait.com/festifull.tgz

You can also get them at tablethacker, I will update this post with the urls when I get it uploaded.

festival
http://tablethacker.com/software/fest.tgz

festival with docs and all
http://tablethacker.com/software/festifull.tgz

EDIT ADDED 6/4/10
Running KDE on Community SSU

I was having a problem getting KDE to run on community SSU because it looks like "ps -ef" is no longer working in Community SSU. I have filed a bug.

You can work around this ps errors while running KDE under Community SSU by creating a script to run ps.

Open xterm and become root and run the following commands.

echo "/bin/ps" > /usr/bin/ps
chmod +x /usr/bin/ps

This will fix the ps error and KDE problems starting under community SSU.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2010-06-05 at 19:01.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
bammmmmmmm

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Ok just a few questions - sorry to be dense but thought I'd ask before I go plunging in...

1) Since I already have KDE installed on my 2gb internal - do I need to reflash and reclone the internal card first such that KDE is no longer installed? I don't see how I'll have the 1.35gb of required space available if I don't.

2)I've been wanting to re-partition my 2gb Internal drive to give myself more ext2 space and no fat (well 128 mb for swap). Can I still do that before installing this deb?

3) Can I save my .kde directory from my existing install and overright the new .kde directory so that I regain most of my settings? This is what I did when upgrading from v1 to v2.

Those are my main questions - TIA for your assistance

Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
Ok just a few questions - sorry to be dense but thought I'd ask before I go plunging in...

1) Since I already have KDE installed on my 2gb internal - do I need to reflash and reclone the internal card first such that KDE is no longer installed? I don't see how I'll have the 1.35gb of required space available if I don't.
probably

2)I've been
wanting to re-partition my 2gb Internal drive to give myself more ext2 space and no fat (well 128 mb for swap). Can I still do that before installing this deb?
boot from sd deb will do this for you, look at boot from sd thread
EDIT
Sorry , I misread this, it will not do this for you, it will create fat also. Sorry. If using fresh flash, you will have 330MB free on 2GB card after installation. BUT it needs that space to download and install KDE.

3) Can I save my .kde directory from my existing install and overright the new .kde directory so that I regain most of my settings? This is what I did when upgrading from v1 to v2.

should probably work, but may end up wacky

Those are my main questions - TIA for your assistance

not real helpful
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-05-22 at 17:57.

Is there a deb for this new ver 3 for those of us that would rather not boot to kde? I would like to install it to my external card on my n800. I'm already booting my OS from SD on my internal card and Im afraid of messing around in that slot. I have the older version of kde already installed to my external and I know it would be simple to just uninstall the older version from application manager and install your newer version. (If a non-bootable version exists)
Thanks alot for your help.

Originally Posted by supergadgetman View Post
Is there a deb for this new ver 3 for those of us that would rather not boot to kde? I would like to install it to my external card on my n800. I'm already booting my OS from SD on my internal card and Im afraid of messing around in that slot. I have the older version of kde already installed to my external and I know it would be simple to just uninstall the older version from application manager and install your newer version. (If a non-bootable version exists)
Thanks alot for your help.
Boot directly to KDE is a separate DEB. If you install V3 it will boot to hildon, unless you install kde-boot.deb

Oh ok, Great! Will it allow me to specify which card to install to (external) when I begin installation?
Thanks again

Oh ok, Great! Will it allow me to specify which card to install to (external) when I begin installation?
Thanks again
Installation will happen on the OS you are booted to?

You must setup boot from SD prior to installing KDE, see my signature for the boot from SD deb thread.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Installation will happen on the OS you are booted to?

You must setup boot from SD prior to installing KDE, see my signature for the boot from SD deb thread.
I'm already booting to SD, but I do not want to boot to KDE. So I guess I need to stear clear of the "boot to sd deb". I want to keep this KDE install away from my internal SD that I am already booting from. Thats why i want to install this new KDE to external. I would like to still boot hildon from my internal card like I have been doing. Sorry if I am confusing you. I just want to replace the old version of kde that I have on my external with this new one and keep all my boot settings the same. I want to be able to launch your new kde from the "extras" menu like I am already doing with your old version. So, what I'm asking is, will this new version ask me which card to install to? And will it allow me to put it on my external card?
Hope I made myself a little more clear. Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited by supergadgetman; 2008-05-22 at 17:48.

I'm already booting to SD, but I do not want to boot to KDE. So I guess I need to stear clear of the "boot to sd deb". I want to keep this KDE install away from my internal SD that I am already booting from. Thats why i want to install this new KDE to external. I would like to still boot hildon from my internal card like I have been doing. Sorry if I am confusing you. I just want to replace the old version of kde that I have on my external with this new one and keep all my boot settings the same. I want to be able to launch your new kde from the "extras" menu like I am already doing with your old version. So, what I'm asking is, will this new version ask me which card to install to? And will it allow me to put it on my external card?
Hope I made myself a little more clear. Thanks again for all your help.

NO NO NO, this is all wrong

There is a deb, it installs KDE v3 on the partition you are booted to. It does not boot to KDE. If you want to use KDE, start it from the extras menu in Hildon.

kde-installer-v3.deb

There is another DEB

kde-boot.deb

This is a very small DEB what will switch it so you boot to KDE insead of hildon, if you remove it, it will again boot from Hildon.
If you boot to KDE, you can still logout of KDE and get back to hildon.

Is this clearer yet???????? (Reread post #6, does it make more sense now?)

(IF YOU ARE USING THE INSTALL MADE EASY DEBS YOU CANNOT UPGRADE, it would have to be completely removed)

I am confused exactly what the issue is?

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-05-22 at 18:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:

Tags
kde, kde35, koffice