I recently bought a nokia n810 but am have a few questions and would like to know the answers. Here goes.

1. I have put some music on my IT but the media player does not display them in the library, how do I fix this.

2. Can flash capabilities be increased I saw a video of somebody playing sonic on their tablet I have downloaded the game but it runs awfully slow.

3. My IT does not play wmv video files as it does not support the codec, could somebody please explain this to me

4. When I install new applications they do not appear on menu the last one that does is the camera application.

I think that is it for now help will be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Miami & London
Originally Posted by jackdoor View Post
4. When I install new applications they do not appear on menu the last one that does is the camera application.
Most likely these are command line applications which have no GUI, and no icons. Discussion here...

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=20658

Originally Posted by jackdoor View Post
2. Can flash capabilities be increased I saw a video of somebody playing sonic on their tablet I have downloaded the game but it runs awfully slow.
When Diablo (the next release of the tablet's operating system UI, maemo) is released, there will be improved flash. However, it may still not be enough to run flash games like sonic or n.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Dayton, TN
I'd recommend installing and using Canola. That will most likely take care of your music and WMV issues. Plus it's just a really nice app.

I don't know of any way to improve flash performance. Unfortunately there are just some things that are too much for flash on the tablet to handle.

I'll message the youtube member and ask him how he managed to play the flash, also I would like to stick with the default media player as it does say that the files should be picked up and I've heard that canola can drain the batterys of the devices. Is there a workaround to not being able to see my applications because other people seem to use the same applications that I can't.

Canola, AFAIK, has never had a battery problem when not in use; I'm not sure how it compares for battery drain when active.

The built-in player, OTOH, only sees your files automatically if you run a service called metalayer-crawler, which crawls through your filesystem looking for music files to index. This crawler, unfortunately, has a tendency to go berserk and consume 100% CPU, killing the battery life. Sometimes this is the result of the user's actions, sometimes not.

The safest course of action is to dump the built-in media player for most things, or at least not rely on it auto-indexing things, and disable metalayer-crawler.

Since you haven't told us what applications you can't see, we're left to guess and take shots in the dark; that's unlikely to provide you with much help...

But...
<dark>Bang!
Sometimes the menu doesn't get updated immediately, and sometimes items get inserted out of order. It's a little extreme and not necessary (it will update eventually if this is the problem), but you can reboot the tablet, then scroll all the way down the list; see if anything shows up.
</dark>

(BTW, you're having codec woes; Canola has the benefit of being able to use both the standard media-player engine, and mplayer (a different, and generally better, engine) for playing different files. That might help, and mplayer generally does much better with most stuff, though there are instances of files that work better with the standard engine. If you just want to try if mplayer works on your wmv, install it and try; it comes with its own front-end, though that's nowhere near as friendly as Canola.)