Hi All,

I received an N810 yesterday and must say I'm quite impressed by the device. The Internet experience is first rate, right out of the box, but the device could have far better potential. So far, I'm missing some applications, a thematic that I would like to discuss:

- I have visited the maemo.org garage and have noticed that the device can't even read the install instructions. I will read the instructions later on a Windows PC, but I guess something like the Notepad is missing.
- I would also like to install something like MS Word and Excel, and don't know if it possible to install Abiword and Gnumeric on OS 2008?
- Also, I can't find a calculator, don't know if someone knows of an hp 48/49G emulator.
- Next, what RDC program would be recommendable for taking control of Windows PC's.
- I also need something like the PuTTy, for remote control of routers, switches and Linux based computers.
- Finally, don't know if the device have an command reference for Maemo in XTerm mode.

I'm downloading the "diablo" 4.2008.23-14 upgrade, hopefully it will have more applications and comprehensive Web catalouge.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Best Regrads,

Igor S.

For text editors you can use leafpad (though it may take a little minor hackery nowadays).

AbiWord and gnumeric have both been ported.
There is an rdesktop package which provides RDC access - or failing that, VNC Viewer.
Putty has also been compiled, but you can use openssh from the terminal just as easily if you install it.
There's an HP free42 calculator emulator, don't know if that will help you, though.
Unfortunately, the man pages for command reference have been stripped out (to save space)

Have a look here and here for repositories and applications.

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Igor S View Post
I have visited the maemo.org garage and have noticed that the device can't even read the install instructions.
I'm not understanding you. What installation instructions can you not read? Could you provide a link?

..I guess something like the Notepad is missing.
Notes, which comes bundled with the OS, reads text files, and a number of other document editors and viewers are available for download.

I would also like to install something like MS Word and Excel, and don't know if it possible to install Abiword and Gnumeric on OS 2008?
Installation of Gnumeric on Diablo is under discussion in the following threads:
I haven't seen anything recent regarding Abiword, but I haven't looked either. I don't use either program.

Also, I can't find a calculator, don't know if someone knows of an hp 48/49G emulator.
A basic calculator, unimaginatively named "Calculator", should be lurking in the Utilities section of the Application Menu on your tablet.

Sadly, a HP 48G/GX emulator does not yet exist for the platform. You might try Free42 though.

...what RDC program would be recommendable for taking control of Windows PC's.
Try rdesktop. If you have any trouble installing it on OS2008, there's an existing thread for that.

I also need something like the PuTTy...
Try OpenSSH client.

Finally, don't know if the device have an command reference for Maemo in XTerm mode.
No, but Google, plus keywords along the lines of "Linux command line reference", should give you a good start.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Igor,

re your comment

I would also like to install something like MS Word and Excel,

Hell will freeze over before MS Word and Excel run on the Internet tablet (natively anyway).On the other hand, if you make use of rdesktop (an rdp client) you can drill into your favorite windows OS based system that is also running Office or components thereof and work to your hearts content with those fine tools.

re your comment

and don't know if it possible to install Abiword and Gnumeric on OS 2008?

I don't know about abiword but there is a version of gnumeric for the Internet Tablets at maemo.org/downloads

re your comment

- Also, I can't find a calculator, don't know if someone knows of an hp 48/49G emulator.

There is an HP42C calculator emulator that runs on the Internet tablets. It uses RPN which is fine for me. It also is available at maemo.org/downloads.

re your comment

- Next, what RDC program would be recommendable for taking control of Windows PC's.

rdesktop works fine on the Internet Tablet and I have used it to drill into Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Vista systems. Rdesktop is available at the www page whose url is

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2007/rdesktop/

re: your comment

- I also need something like the PuTTy, for remote control of routers, switches and Linux based computers.

You probably want to install the SSH client in that case. It is also available at maemo.org/downloads

Best Regards

John Holmblad

The Following User Says Thank You to jholmblad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Abiword is definitely available, though I'm not running it. Click Software above and you will get the most recent programs, but then click Maemo.org and you will get the official program list.

When you get to that page, I suggest you go through every category listed for OS2008 and you will have a pretty good idea of what is available. It's not prohibitively long, but it is significant. There are other programs available, but this is the central stable.

Last edited by geneven; 2008-06-27 at 20:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Some stuff I've been gathering together...

newbie success + tips

Steve

The Following User Says Thank You to stevecrye For This Useful Post:
@CodeMonkey:
I will test the Leafpad. It seems the N810 already comes with the Notes program I didn't noticed where it was the first day of use.
The interface is really easy to use, the problem is that I never saw any computer with something similar.

@Sigadsby:
When I used the N810 for the first time, it seems that it were some issues. The Web catalouge didn't loaded the complete list it only showed what was available in the tablet locally. It didn't actualised after I found how to configurate the Wi-Fi IP address, default gateway and DNS's (with my actual setup it doesn't function without manually setting).

When I tried to install the RDesk or something like that, the N810 showed an error message and said it didn't had the appropiate application and sent me to the Web catalogue which only had 10-15 programs. Since the dialog box mentioned install intructions, I thought it must be installed manually as it's sometimes in x86 Linux, but the application that should have read the instructions wasn't there.

The link I used was was the RDesktop OS2007 but I'm unable to find it right now. My OS is still: OS2008 1.2007.42-19.

However, I can't re-create the error anymore. Yesterday I used one of the links for free42 somebody provided in the thread, it loaded the complete Web catalouge and the application installed automatically.

What programs do you use instead of Word and Excel?

@JHolmblad
I have isntalled the free42 yesterday, well that model doesn't have much functions but the emulator works fine. I also find it unconfortable to use any calculator without RPN.

I tested the RDesktop, and it works excellent. It seems to be faster than the RDP client or Windows Mobile 6, but it seems it wasn't designed to reproduce the sounds of the host computer locally. I have some P/PC's but one has QVGA which is useless for remote control, the ohter is VGA but lacks integrated keyboard also useless. This device is perfect.

@Geneven
What word processing program do you use?

@Stevecrye
Thanks for the links it has many interesting tips. That kind of links really help to get start more quickly.

===

After the N810 auto-fixed the Web catalouge, this Nokia platform looks terrific. This is an ultimate pocket PC. Many reviews I have seen are misleading, the N810 has fine hardware, but it's operating system shines too and must say is better than what I expected. Many thanks to all.

Best Regards,

Igor Sotelo.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Igor S View Post
@Sigadsby:
What programs do you use instead of Word and Excel?
Well, nothing, really. Once my college days were over, I found the need to write a twelve page paper by Tuesday rather quickly disappeared, and I shed Ami Pro as dead weight.

On the other hand, I may soon install Gnumeric on my tablet to chart Bugzilla activity. If I do, it will be the first time I've ever needed a spreadsheet program outside of work.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
i dont see abiword on maemo.org...where can i get it at?

Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
i dont see abiword on maemo.org...where can i get it at?
I found Abiword somewhere, it was an unofficial repo. Unfortunately can't find it again. It looks unfinished, some menu options wont work, but it's better than nothing. Gnumeric has an small issue, it seems that one can't write on the celds directly.

diablo has been an mixed experience so far. RDesktop refuses to start like in Chenook. I may downgrade the OS2008 back.