Active Topics

As part of the Google Desktop 5, Google Media Server was released.

It is winders only, so I installed it on my wife's XP machine and let it dig and index the music folders. It did not allow my 770 NIT to be found and I am suspecting the firewall first.

I will try again with a Win2000 laptop tomorrow.

Has anyone else tried this with this new "feature" successfully?

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
well it lets me see my shares...course not all is indexed yet...

I tried this out and it works nicely in conjunction with Canola's UPnP plug-in. I set Google Desktop to only index my media files. (I had uninstalled G Desktop a while ago because it made my computer a bit sluggish, but I figured I'd reinstall to try this out.)

Since I knew nothing about UPnP before, I was impressed that this all worked so easily. I'm not really sure that I will keep it installed, because I have most of the music I like to listen to on my N800 already, but its a neat thing to play around with.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Even, I don't like Google Desktop as it makes my system perform horrible. But for the sake of trying the Media Server, I re-installed it but, I was not satisfied with it. I was forcing the Google Media Server to index my media files and even after an half-hour or so, the index percentage shows as 0%. Then, I thought, let it index over the night. Leaving Google Desktop enabled till the night slowed my machine very badly. So, I un-installed it immediately.

Later, I found out from some old threads in ITT about TVersity. Installed TVersity and it worked as expected. Canola has a UPnP plug-in that needs to be installed. I did that and it worked fine with the N800. Music streaming was Ok but video streaming was very bad. Infact, I didn't see video streamed onto the N800 even after waiting for around 15 minutes or more.

Did anyone at ITT used both the Google Media Server & Tversity? If so, what are their opinions?

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post: