Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
Over the weekend I took the plunge and installed diablo on my N800. I managed to get just about everything working again; screen rotation, cloning to flash and booting from memory card, tons of applications... And then I decided to try my USB OTG adapter with my thumb (flash) drives. NONE of them worked. They ALL worked fine with chinook, even those with flashing LEDs. So I tried a powered USB hub. No luck. Granted it's a cheap hub, so maybe that's the problem.

Then I thought that perhaps all the extra stuff I installed was causing problems. So I reflashed diablo and tried with a fresh system. Still no luck. It took me a couple of hours to get everything back to normal (external boot menu, mainly). I can boot to my cloned diablo partition AND also my old cloned chinook system. The results are the same regardless of which partition/OS I boot to. "/sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode" shows "a_host", so it's definitely seeing the device, and "lsusb" shows a couple of the thumb drives (but not all).

As a last ditch effort, I tried my external USB HDD (self-powered). SUCCESS!!! So the thing works after all, wow!

But this makes me wonder why the flash drives that worked just fine with chinook fail to work in diablo. And why don't those flash drives work when I boot into the chinook partition? Is it something to do with the initfs bootmenu stuff? I'm curious if other people have seen something similar with their chinook-to-diablo upgrade experience.

Thanks for reading my plaint.

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Hampshire, UK
No problems here?

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Hillsboro, Nh.
Also no problems, using diablo on a n810 with USB-Control.
An iPod Touch 4th gen rides in my pocket too.

After reading your post, I tried one of my thumb drives that did work under chinook and sure enough, it did NOT work in Diablo.

My USB keyboard still works however, as I am using it now. So USB host mode is at least working.

After poking around in an xterm shell, I noticed that no related kernel modules were being loaded. I seem to remember that some sort of USB-storage module used to load under Chinook and was displayed when you did an "lsmod" as root. Can someone double check me on this? If so, then I also could not find any related modules in either under /lib/modules or /mnt/initfs/lib/modules to load. This could be that either the driver was built into the new kernel, or they forgot about it completely.

I did notice that at least the USB subsystem is seeing the device and found all the stats for it in the /sys/bus/usb/devices section.

I also noticed that the "dmesg" list showed that the kernel was trying to put the whole thing to sleep right away. That said, I did notice that it was powering the drive the whole time because mine actually gets a little warm to the touch when powered up.

So who at Nokia needs to know about this?

2/2 work for me.

Hmmm... I installed that maemo-control-usb extra, but it does not see my thumb drive. Just to make sure we're on the same page, I go to Control Panel > USB Networking. Or, how do I turn on host mode with this plugin?

Okay, I think I'm a little closer to resolving the issue. I reflashed with chinook and realized that not all of my flash drives worked correctly. So apparently I tried some "new" flash drives under diablo and incorrectly figured that they had worked with chinook.

Then I reflashed with diablo, and eventually managed to get all of the flash drives which worked with chinook to also work with diablo. I say "eventually" because I had to plug/unplug the flash drives a couple of times before diablo recognized them. This was not the case with chinook.

So I think the title of the thread should be "Diablo SLIGHTLY less tolerant" since I managed to get the same drives working under diablo (with a little fiddling).

As to the wired network issue, I also cannot get my ethernet adapter to work. But as stated in other posts, until the DUMMY interface issue can be hacked around, I don't think I can effectively debug it.

The Following User Says Thank You to terrencegf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by terrencegf View Post
Okay, I think I'm a little closer to resolving the issue. I reflashed with chinook and realized that not all of my flash drives worked correctly. So apparently I tried some "new" flash drives under diablo and incorrectly figured that they had worked with chinook.

Then I reflashed with diablo, and eventually managed to get all of the flash drives which worked with chinook to also work with diablo. I say "eventually" because I had to plug/unplug the flash drives a couple of times before diablo recognized them. This was not the case with chinook.

So I think the title of the thread should be "Diablo SLIGHTLY less tolerant" since I managed to get the same drives working under diablo (with a little fiddling).

As to the wired network issue, I also cannot get my ethernet adapter to work. But as stated in other posts, until the DUMMY interface issue can be hacked around, I don't think I can effectively debug it.
Just for info could you provide models etc of flash drives that work and don't, for those of us who have not bought them yet?

tia
PLEASE use the Wiki

To whom can make USB Control runs on N810 Diablo, can you give clue how make it installed on N810?

I have N810 runs Diablo, I don't restore any backup from previous OS due I flash my N810 to Diablo as soon as my N810 on my hand when I bought it.

USB Control incompatible with Diablo, so do USB Host + Becomroot package.

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Just for info could you provide models etc of flash drives that work and don't, for those of us who have not bought them yet?
Sure, but I'm not sure how to best list the drives. There are so many thumbdrives out there. So, here's a table showing the output from "lsusb". The part in parenthesis is my attempt at describing the drive.
Code:
ID 04e8:1a23 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd  (2G Black Samsung)
ID 090c:1000 Feiya Technology Corp. Memory Bar (2G A-Data MyFlash)
ID 0204:6025 Chipsbank Microelectronics Co., Ltd CBM2080 Flash drive controller (256M Generic)
ID 0d7d:1300 Phison Electronics Corp. Flash Disk (128M PNY Attache)
ID 0ea0:2168 Ours Technology, Inc. Transcend JetFlash 2.0 / Astone USB Drive (64mb Micro Advantange QuickDrive)
ID 1370:2168 Swissbit (512M Swissbit)
Only the first three (in green) worked on my N800 with a USB/OTG adapter.

I also tried 4 different SD card readers. Two were SDHC, one was SD, and one was MicroSD. None of them worked.
Code:
ID 058f:6331 Alcor Micro Corp. (Rosewill SDHC card reader)
ID 0781:a7a8 SanDisk Corp. (SanDisk SDHC card reader)
ID 058f:6369 Alcor Micro Corp. (Black generic SD card reader)
ID 14cd:6700 Super Top (Generic T-Flash/MicroSD card reader)

The Following User Says Thank You to terrencegf For This Useful Post: