Posts: 58 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland
The original (?) post on Maemo.org front page claimed that the display driver will be released in two weeks. If I count the days right, the two weeks have come and gone. Any news of the driver yet?

Ever since I found out about the 3d inside the n8x0 I belived it will never get drivers (as newer platforms will be far more interesting than hacking the old one). This thread almost woke some hope inside me. Well it's about to fall asleep again

Anyways since the TI guy is MiA I suggest a search party to raid pow camps. I can spare 300 gold and 100 iron

Let say there's just one guy working on this in his "spare time" between regular working tasks @TI.
Let say the original driver wasn't the best driver that ever appeared in the embedded word, so it needs to be "fixed" in order to be usable.
Let say that once fixed it needs to be tested, integrated with maemo and pushed to the masses in the most painless and successfull way.
And let remember all this is done for a EOLed device...
Maybe we can wait a little longer without complaining, I'm sure our NITs will have a wonderful christmas present

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustNick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by JustNick View Post
Let say there's just one guy working on this in his "spare time" between regular working tasks @TI.
Let say the original driver wasn't the best driver that ever appeared in the embedded word, so it needs to be "fixed" in order to be usable.
Let say that once fixed it needs to be tested, integrated with maemo and pushed to the masses in the most painless and successfull way.
And let remember all this is done for a EOLed device...
Maybe we can wait a little longer without complaining, I'm sure our NITs will have a wonderful christmas present
It's more a question of communication than anything else. First of all, he didn't HAVE to say two weeks, it was (for all we know) a self-imposed (or intra-TI) limit or estimate. Also, not replying is just plain bad PR. I understand the person in question probably cannot say anything without management level approval, but then again, that is comms issue again - only within TI. If we waited 3 years, we can certainly wait a month more, but please, just a little bit/better communication could do wonders.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Just a quick note to let everyone know that TI has confirmed today that the drivers are being opened. Please be patient as we work through the issues. In the meantime, I encourage everyone to go to

http://wiki.maemo.org/Diablo_Community_Project

and indicate if you have any specific plans or intentions for the drivers. And if you can help, please volunteer.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Australia
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Just a quick note to let everyone know that TI has confirmed today that the drivers are being opened. Please be patient as we work through the issues. In the meantime, I encourage everyone to go to

and indicate if you have any specific plans or intentions for the drivers. And if you can help, please volunteer.
Has TI reconfirmed that they will be releasing the drivers, or are they confirming they will be released today?

This is great news!

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I assume the drivers are already finished, but opening former closed source software to the public is a process that can take a long time. It's not about technical issues, but about politics and lawyers.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The frustrating thing for me is the way TI says things about the OMAP2 drivers so unofficially. We get told that "TI says that.." but there's no official word from them. Where's a press release? Who is in charge of this project? What's the timeline? Most importantly to me, what are the hold ups?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Just a quick note to let everyone know that TI has confirmed today that the drivers are being opened.
Can you link to this confirmation, or was this a private message?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post: