Active Topics

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
Like the title says, I have it working about 95%. Using some other posters' comments in another thread here on the forums, I registered my GMail account with http://www.gtalk2voip.com and accepted it's addition of "service@gtalk2voip.com into my Contacts lists, which is exactly what is supposed to happen.

I then registered a WA state area code number for FREE thru http://www.ipkall.com. For the setup of this account, for the SIP number I used "MyGoogleTalkName" and for the SIP Proxy I put in "gtalk2voip.com". I was originally trying to route the ipkall number thru FWD.com, but apparently I was adding an unnecessary step.

I found out thru a forum on a Google search that the SIP number is the GMail ID, and the SIP Proxy is the gtalk2voip.com site. This is correct, because I can call my 206-xxx-xxxx phone number, and the 770 starts ringing with the Caller ID screen having my number in this format: "210-710-xxxx_at_66.54.140.46@gtalk2voip"

When I answer the call on the 770, it never connects and finally times out. During this time, I can still hear the phone number ringing on the landline. There is some little setting that I probably need to change somewhere, i am just missing it.

Do I need to change something with the "STUN" settings, or maybe open a certain port on my wireless router? If I have to open a port, it would seem to make VoIP useless, since I'm sure most routers would have this port closed. Has any one else gotten this working?

I'm not real concerned with making outgoing calls to a landline, but it sure would be handy to receive calls from landlines...

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Arizona, USA
I got mine to the same point you do. Thanks for the walkthrough.

Originally Posted by orbitalcomp
Using some other posters' comments in another thread here on the forums,
That was me Yeah, I'm at the same point. I'm kind of surprised with the problems. I wonder if the two gateways it has to go through causes too much lag in the connection or something. Sorry, I don't know what can be done, but on the plus side gizmoproject will have a client soon. There is a post on the gizmoproject forums where we are petitioning for a beta release. Maybe if enough of us request it, they will comply. Otherwise, a gizmoproject employee posted and just said to watch this url:
http://gizmoproject.com/jasmine/

ok... I don't know that I have helped at all, but after trying googletalk on the 770 then the PC, it seems to possibly be a problem with the gtalk2voip server? I tried adding voicemail, and i can check it from the PC, but from the 770 it just times out and disconnects... to check your voicemail, you have to enable it at ipkall, but then just open a chat with service@gtalk2voip.com and type "VMPLAY"....

so possibly a problem with the 770 software?

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
i think it's a 770 problem, and the gizmoproject app will not have this problem. i am of course talking out of my *****, but i hope i am correct.

Originally Posted by johsua
i think it's a 770 problem, and the gizmoproject app will not have this problem. i am of course talking out of my *****, but i hope i am correct.

I keep hoping it's some little setting that one of us will stumble upon...I posted on the IPKall forums looking for help, so maybe something will happen...

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Arizona, USA
Are there any VOIP gurus on the forums? I am guessing it has something to do with firewalling. I bet GTalk relies on some sort of firewall traversal (perhaps UPNP) thats not implemented on the 770 end (or perhaps not supported correctly by gtalk2voip either).

We have tested N770 for compatibility with our GTalk2VoIP gateway. The following results we have got:

1. You can use N770 GTalk to make outgoing call to PSTN/SIP in the way described on http://www.gtalk2voip.com/gtalk_serv...transport.html .

2. Sending CALL command would not work, incoming call to N770 could not be setup properly for unknown reason.

3. Accepting incoming calls from GTalk2VoIP would not work either for same reason.

4. Sending voice over old GPRS is futile since it gives assimetric bandwidth for upstream and downstream channels. The slow upstream channel does not allow voice to pass well. Downstream is ok, so you can hear remote party well, or listen to voicemails in your vm box.

We are currently investigating the issue with accepting incoming calls from GTalk2VoIP on N770. I guess this can be fixed (adjusted to what N770 wants ). Volunteers to make test calls required!

Regards,
GTalk2VoIP TEAM.

GTalk: ruslan.zalata@gmail.com

The Following User Says Thank You to Ruslan Zalata For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ruslan Zalata
We have tested N770 for compatibility with our GTalk2VoIP gateway. The following results we have got:

1. You can use N770 GTalk to make outgoing call to PSTN/SIP in the way described on http://www.gtalk2voip.com/gtalk_serv...transport.html .

2. Sending CALL command would not work, incoming call to N770 could not be setup properly for unknown reason.

3. Accepting incoming calls from GTalk2VoIP would not work either for same reason.

4. Sending voice over old GPRS is futile since it gives assimetric bandwidth for upstream and downstream channels. The slow upstream channel does not allow voice to pass well. Downstream is ok, so you can hear remote party well, or listen to voicemails in your vm box.

We are currently investigating the issue with accepting incoming calls from GTalk2VoIP on N770. I guess this can be fixed (adjusted to what N770 wants ). Volunteers to make test calls required!

Regards,
GTalk2VoIP TEAM.

GTalk: ruslan.zalata@gmail.com

Ruslan -

Glad to hear you guys at gtalk2voip have discovered us here and the problems we are having. Everything you mentioned seems about right, I had tried to make a call to a landline from a chat with "service@gtalk2voip", but it didn't work. Guess I have to add a contact for the phone number, like the link on your site says. Good tip!

I posted pretty much my same questions in the IPKall forums (http://voxilla.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-9110.html), and someone from IPK mentioned that all of the calls that i attempted through gtalk2voip left "dead SIP channels" on their server. They were also going to try and figure out what was happening.

Anyways, here's hoping that you can find a solution for us 770 users!

Originally Posted by orbitalcomp
I had tried to make a call to a landline from a chat with "service@gtalk2voip", but it didn't work. Guess I have to add a contact for the phone number, like the link on your site says. Good tip!
Could you please try it that way (call from roster) then tell us does it work in your environment or not ? Also please mention what type of connection you are on: GPRS, WI-FI or something else ? Your IP address for the session can be helpful too. Thank you.

We have also discovered that some WiFi spots have pretty strict firewall setup, so media flow cannot pass it :-(.

Regards,
Ruslan.