So I've been the proud/happy owner of an n800 for the past 8 months or so and its come time to get a new cell phone. My brother really wanted an iphone so my family decided to switch to AT&T from Sprint.
At this point, I'm trying to consider all my options because I really would like to be able to get internet on my Tablet but, after some research I haven't been able to find any way to do it with AT&T.

They offer their teathering plan for $60/mon, which is out of my range and I've read that with an unlocked Iphone you can bridge an Ad-Hock wirelss connection.

I'm seriously considering going for the iphone, which would only be $30/mon (base family plan is paid for by the folks), but I have a few qualms about that - mainly that I use almost exclusively Linux and I do have a problem getting into bed with Jobs.

I guess my real question is does anyone have any easy way to use something like the $15/mon infinite media net access that comes with the 3g non smartphones?

Thanks.

I don't think getting iPhone would be that big of a deal. If you jail break it, you have access to all of it's underlying UNIX internals

For me, I found the cheapest phone that gave me 3G access (with the ability to receive calls while it's in use) and went with it. In my case, the phone ended up being free because a friend gave it to me, but it runs Windows

I'm using the Samsung Blackjack with AT&Ts $20 unlimited net plan. Newer Windows devices use something called PAN over Bluetooth, which is currently hacked support in to Diablo. In all, it works pretty well for me.

There are also really cheap phones if Edge is enough for you. I have a Nokia 6681 (or 6682? I can't remember the exact number, sorry) -- I couldn't use Edge and talk at the same time, but it's Symbian so I imagine it will tether with the n8x0 easily.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Does anyone know what phone OS's can teather with the n800?

Also, how did you get an unlimited data plan for $20/mon with the BlackJack? (from what I can find, all the smartphones use a $30 unlimited dataplan)

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida (I'm Spaniard)
I'm using AT&T Media Net unlimited connecting my cell Nokia 6126 and my N800 by bluetooth. The only problem is that the thetering is not allowed with Media Net plan but if you don't abuse it with massive data transfer you will have no problem.

But be aware... if your data use is too big and AT&T realize that you are thetering they will charge you by kilobyte despite your unlimited plan.

The Following User Says Thank You to Asturcon For This Useful Post:
I think you want to look at the OS. DUN is the preferred networking method with the tablets, but I really find PAN to be simple (I can provide more details if you have any questions). I think there's a wiki page on this site (or perhaps the maemo.org wiki) with a list of DUN phones known to work.

I really hate wireless companies. From their site (at least when logged in with my 2-year-old account), I see 3 options:
1. $50 - PDA Personal Bundle. I assume this is what works with 3G cards, but I thought that was $60.
2. $30 - PDA Personal. Looks like it has the same f!@#ing description as the bundle...
3. $19.99 - MEDIA MAX 200 Bundle. What I have. This is 200 text messages plus unlimited data.

I originally had a Nokia 6682, which could hardly be called a smart phone, so maybe that's why I was able to get the media max bundle? I changed the phone in my profile to a BlackJack and the price didn't go up, so I can't say for sure.

In short, I have no idea how many classes of phones AT&T has, or if the $20 plan is still available, etc. Sorry I can't say for sure.

Ah, I see. Currently, they have the unlimited media net and the 200 text messages separate for $15/mon and $5/mon respectively, but its only for non-smartphone phones. You probably got away with it because you had the Nokia phone, then got the BlackJack.

This is something that probably no one knows, but do you what constitutes to much data?

Actually, now that I think about it, I was able to pair my Nokia with my laptop, it was just inconvenient because a phone call would disconnect me.

I don't remember seeing any terms that stated I wasn't allowed to use it for pairing, although it wouldn't surprise me if it was buried somewhere. They probably don't mention it and charge if they decide you're using too much bandwidth.

I have no idea what constitutes "too much data." I don't think I've ever done anything bandwidth intensive with it... used it for SigAlert and a few other web sites, chatting + browsing on my laptop, and even VPN'd in to work when oncall a few times.

I think my usage has averaged about 1gb per month (although it's dropped recently), and I've almost certainly never used more than 5gb. Helps that my cell phone has no battery life and doesn't seem to want to charge reliably over USB

The Following User Says Thank You to andreww For This Useful Post:
Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
Ah, I see. Currently, they have the unlimited media net and the 200 text messages separate for $15/mon and $5/mon respectively, but its only for non-smartphone phones. You probably got away with it because you had the Nokia phone, then got the BlackJack.

This is something that probably no one knows, but do you what constitutes to much data?
"Too much data" is the exact amount you've downloaded to cause AT&T to notice you

Seriously, I've had two 3G phones (Nokia 6555, now an LG Shine) and I typically stream last.fm on my N800 on the 15 minute drive to work. I think last month, my downloads was in the range of 300 MB for the month.

It may be against AT&T AUP, but that defense is getting slippery, given the new 3G iphone, the LG VU, and other 3G enabled phones coming on the market. I'm really not worried about it.

The Media-Net packages are for consumer phones (non-smart phones). You cannot get the PDA packages for consumer phones. So, you have to 'settle' for Media-Net unlimited for $15/mo

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

I use a Motorola Vx33, ATT's Media max 200($20), my 810 or my Powerbook. I average about 2 gigs a month. No problems.

I walked into an ATT store. Showed them my 810. Said it was a PDA. They said buy our talk plan ( I bought a $40 plan) and we will sell you a Media Max 200 unlimited download plan for $20. We'll also sell you a Motorola VX33 bluetooth phone for $150.

It's a 3G service even out here in the desert outside Tucson. I'm using it now with my Powerbook. I used it earlier today while in town with my 810.

I love it!

Good luck

wife has 800.

i have att Tilt (aka htc kaiser).. which is completely cid and sim unlocked..
its a ppc--keyboard and wm6.1

i use phone as "router" all the time to tether to her 800 and a laptop at the same time using an app called "wmwifirouter".

i set up the plan over the phone.
i was on home phone when i called in.

i asked exactly for media unlimited plan for 15$.
i use this setup often..

if you check around other forums, you find that this is common..