Hi all,

It would be realy great if we could run operan mini 4 on our nits. Is this possible? I can nowhere find a desen't java midi applet for the n810.

The tablets don't support Java applications, so you can't install Opera Mini.

The tablets can do Javascript in the browser, but that's something totally different of course.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Cologne, Germany
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
The tablets don't support Java applications, so you can't install Opera Mini.
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...810#post207810 seems to indicate something different and the threadstarter claims success running SWT based GTK applications. So - I'd say that information is wrong.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by darklajid View Post
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...810#post207810 seems to indicate something different and the threadstarter claims success running SWT based GTK applications. So - I'd say that information is wrong.
Java is not suported out of the box on the nokia's, Jalimo isn't the easist to get working and then its still not full java.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following User Says Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
AFAIK, you cannot install Opera Mini with Jalimo, which is what the original poster asked about.

And as andrewfblack said, Jalimo doesn't come with the tablets, and it isn't easy to use.

So what?
The tablets don't support Opera out of the box. Neither Canola2 or Maemo Mapper.

http://wiki.evolvis.org/jalimo/index.php/Packages claims to have working packages for the NITs (so I'd guess it cannot be that hard to get it up and running, but I admit I haven't tried it yet - I'm at worK)
The OP asked for opera mini support and that isn't requirering full java (if you talk about the jre) anyway, it's using the mobile stuff (The Opera website is quite unspecific or I cannot find the details) below the "Java ME" brand.

In other words: Saying "It's not supported" is unproven and not helpful. It might work. Pointing out limitations (no full jre) is fine, but claiming that no java support exists/works is crap, imo.

Back on topic: I'd try the Opera forums (checking the exact requirements of Opera Mini) and returning with that information to the jalimo project (Does that work already).
Faster/more pratical approach: Install jalimo and give it a try.

The Following User Says Thank You to darklajid For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
AFAIK, you cannot install Opera Mini with Jalimo, which is what the original poster asked about.
Thanks for pointing that out, didn't know that.

So what?
The tablets don't support Opera out of the box. Neither Canola2 or Maemo Mapper.
You can install Canola and Maemo Mapper with a single click (at maemo.org/downloads or in the app manager's default repositories), and they're extremely easy to use. You don't need any kind of technical skills in order to install or use them.

That's a totally different thing to what you're suggesting.

In other words: Saying "It's not supported" is unproven
The tablets do not have any kind of Java support, and there is no easy method for adding Java support.

Just because some complicated method exists to get something to work doesn't make it supported. You can get Windows 3.1 to work on the tablets, but I wouldn't say they have support for Windows 3.1 apps.

and not helpful.
Did you see how difficult it was to get Jalimo working?

Do you think most ordinary users would be able to do that, or would want to do that?

This is the newbie forum, not a hacker's convention.

Last edited by krisse; 2008-07-28 at 11:58.

For those looking for answers to the OP's posting, Krisse and Andrew got it right. Running Opera Mini is pretty much out of the question for now, even for really dedicated hackers (which isn't the same as 100% impossible, but if I could ever get my 4 weeks of holidays.. now that's a dream - I would spend the time on some other, more rewarding project.)

Let's get back to this when there's finally a fully compliant working Java implementation for OS200x, which, if we're lucky, isn't totally far off.

Just out of interest, why isn't Java included on the tablets? All of Nokia's phones have at least some level of Java support, even the cheapest models, so why is it lacking on the tablets three years after they launched?

I've tried searching ITT (and Bugzilla too for good measure) but I can't find any straight answer why the tablets don't have any kind of Java yet. Is this an issue to do with Linux in general rather than Maemo?