Hi all,
I used the search tool and couldn't find anyone else with a similar problem, so I apologize if the question's been asked before.

I'm running Diablo, and everything was working great, but yesterday I looked in the Tools > Components section of MicroB and noticed there was a "Find Updates" button for the extensions. I tried it with all of them and to my surprise, an update for adblockplus was found (even though apt had no knowledge of any update for the package).

After it installed I restarted the browser and found that adblock had stopped working. First I thought that maybe my filters had been deleted by the update, so I tried visiting the adblock configuration page, which caused the browser to say (connecting) and do so forever until I stopped it (I've waited up to 10 minutes). I then figured the update was bad, so used apt-get to remove and reinstall adblockplus-webaddon. When that didn't work, I removed it again, then deleted ~/.mozilla/microb/adblockplus, then reinstalled and restarted. No effect. Then tried removing with --purge to delete any configuration files I wasn't aware of. This also didn't work. Finally, I removed all browser extensions and installed adblock by itself. No dice.

Right now, in tools > components, adblock is listed as installed and enabled, but it's not actually functioning since I can't visit the configuration page. I *really* don't want to reflash my unit, as it's taken quite a while to get it how I wanted. Can anyone think of anything I haven't tried?

The Following User Says Thank You to semiquaver For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
Can anyone think of anything I haven't tried?
Sorry, no suggestions, but I can tell you I'm in a similar spot.

I installed Adblock Plus on Diablo, configured it, and installed the update from Components. Ever since, the red "ABP" stop sign has not appeared, and "chrome://adblockplus/content/config.html" redirects to a "jar:file:///home/user/.mozilla/microb/extensions/..." address that can't be found.

So, I can't configure Adblock Plus any longer either, but on the other hand, in my MicroB it's still blocking ads.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
AdBlock is a CPU eater on Maemo anyway. Just use hosts/CSS.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not really happy with the hosts/css solution, since the lists out there are almost never updated, while the popular adblock filters are updated very regularly (the hosts file from the wiki was last updated in Feb 07). Using hosts/css leaves a ton of empty space and misses many textads on the few pages I tried. And I don't notice a speedup without it, except on startup. In fact, at least a few pages load noticeably slower -- on my slow connection ads that are blocked by css but not the hosts file still get downloaded and hold up page rendering.

Anyway, looking further into the problem, it appears that this problem isn't confined to just adblock. *none* of my extensions work now, which essentially means greasemonkey and spellcheck. I realize that I could replicate greasemonkey's functionality manually, but I'd really rather not.

If I deleted ~/.mozilla entirely, would it regenerate, or would I brick my system? Is there anywhere else where browser configuration files might be located that I could clear?

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mexico
I have been using adblock... never updated though. Installed it from the repo. It does not appear in the "components" menu, but I can see the red square and modify it settings perfectly.

I added just one suscription, and I love it.

No problems so far, but it seems to be slowing some pages (like facebook) so I just configure it to ignore those...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Yep I had this too. If you closely look, you will find the extension has no description in the 'details' button of the Plugin List.

Solution: do not use "Find Updates". Realize you are running a(n unofficial) Chinook package on Diablo.

My solution: mv ~/.mozilla to ~/.mozilla-broken and start over. If that doesn't work, first remove all extensions, then start over, run MicroB one time, quit. Install adblock. Restart. Restart. Wait. Behold, the red button appears. Now install the other extensions. They should all work. But do not update them with "Find Updates".

Also, don't add too many repositories in Adblock. Slows it down. I find only using the Dutch database (because I mostly visit Dutch sites) to be mostly adequate.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
read somewhere that spellchecker is the problem. as soon as i uninstalled it, all other plugins worked.

The Following User Says Thank You to nikolajhendel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post
read somewhere that spellchecker is the problem. as soon as i uninstalled it, all other plugins worked.
Yes, that is my experience as well.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mexico
Problems now...

It seems to have gone mad...

It stopped working, uninstalled, then (already uninstalled) started working again...

The Following User Says Thank You to yegaoo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by yegaoo View Post
Problems now...

It seems to have gone mad...

It stopped working, uninstalled, then (already uninstalled) started working again...
How unfortunate.

Are you using any other extensions besides Adblock?

Tags
extension