Posts: 12 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Westfield, IN
The latest diablo OS upgrade of the N800/N810 has taken my tablet from periodically useful to carry-around-with-me necessary. The real IMAP email in the latest version has allowed me to perfectly sync my N800 with Thunderbird on my computer. My email is at least 20%-40% of my day, and now that I can truly manage and file it on my tablet has made me feel like I have more life in my day.

While I still bemoan the lack of good integrated PIM software (GPE is too messy for my taste), having my iGoogle page load up with my data has worked just fine and syncs with my computer.

The additional chat clients (included with additional packages), along with a great Skype client, has truly made the N800 tablet my all-in-one communication gadget (sans the cell phone).

Rhapsody and Canola led me to sell my iPod on eBay. And the Video Center with KMPlayer is awesome. Instead of syncing podcasts, I just download them whenever I want.

I also have a Boingo mobile account which for less than $10 a month lets me access just about any wifi spot around me. Combined with my T-mobile internet plan on my N95, that gives customers free access to their wifi spots, I have wifi accessible to me whenever I go out.

I say all of this to make a point that I really feel the Nokia Tablet is really close to being a major player in the MID, PDA, MP3 Player, etc etc. world. The only thing I really want is a FASTER PROCESSOR.

With the rise and popular of Browser-based apps, the only think that ever gets me down any more with my tablet is it's slow processor. If it just had a faster processor, I could run Google apps without stress, watch hulu and other video sites, and play flash games. It would become my office, my tv, and my game boy.

Whatever happens with the next tablet, I hope Nokia doesn't get too radical. I love the tablet, I just want it faster.

Last edited by geekmeetsworld; 2008-08-09 at 22:58.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to geekmeetsworld For This Useful Post:
What Boingo plan works for less than $10 per month? Your posting got me interested but it looks like there's only a $21.95 per mo plan for unlimited domestic US or $7.95 for 24hrs.

Info appreciated!
Thanks,
Frank

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Victoria, BC
Check out Boing Mobile. There is a special account for phones and tablets. 7.95/month.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoeF For This Useful Post:
Posts: 82 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ New Mexico, USA
My N800 is equally essential and beloved. But I think it's naive to expect the plarform to survive with only a faster processor. Nokia, I fear, is squandering its lead in the tablet race, and it will need to be more nimble and innovative by far to become more than a lumbering cellphone giant. Apple and others are going to leave Nokia and the N8xx's in the dust, I fear. Compare the iPhone marketing, product support, and developer enthusiasm to Nokia's with the IT, and the latter is a joke. You can barely find replacement parts for the N800; I've been trying to buy a new stylus for a year. Diablo is great and I love the community, but I see a murky and dark future.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
What you see is Step 3 ... ;-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to igor For This Useful Post:
Here is the 7.95 plan (monthly) for the tablet: http://mobile.boingo.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to geekmeetsworld For This Useful Post:
My N800 is equally essential and beloved. But I think it's naive to expect the plarform to survive with only a faster processor. Nokia, I fear, is squandering its lead in the tablet race, and it will need to be more nimble and innovative by far to become more than a lumbering cellphone giant. Apple and others are going to leave Nokia and the N8xx's in the dust, I fear. Compare the iPhone marketing, product support, and developer enthusiasm to Nokia's with the IT, and the latter is a joke. You can barely find replacement parts for the N800; I've been trying to buy a new stylus for a year. Diablo is great and I love the community, but I see a murky and dark future.
In my own 2 cents, I think the iPhone and the Nokia Tablet are apples and oranges (pun intended). Apple will always dominate the "fad" consumer market, what Nokia has with the Tablet series is a chance to collect a more niche (but still large) market of loyal gadget geeks and productivity minded users.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geekmeetsworld For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I agree with the op 100%.
I missed the PIM software, but am now happy with Google's support (just waiting for Google gears to work for offline access). Mildly surprised PIM software hasn't come along.
I lost my N800 and replaced it with another (then found my original). I'll have to set up canola and use it for a media center.
Processor (or video if that's the issue) to play flash is one thing I see lacking.

The only obstacle to becoming mainstream is software, which we have a good offering of. It would only get better the more visibility it gets. I agree the N800 will never be the must have replacement for i-stuff, but it doesn't have to be. If it can be a favorite IT network admin tool that would be a great step. From there with some usable office software you might see it edge into professional market. That's kind of far fetched though with Blackberry holding that nitch and apple trying to edge in.

Originally Posted by geekmeetsworld View Post
iPhone and the Nokia Tablet are apples and oranges (pun intended)
hahaha u just made me laugh a little

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Summerside, PEI, Canada
Originally Posted by geekmeetsworld View Post
Here is the 7.95 plan (monthly) for the tablet: http://mobile.boingo.com/
Does anyone else have these issues with the mobile plan?

1. Newest application doesn't mention that there was a problem with installation, yet app does NOT connect at wireless hotspots since upgrading to Diabolo? (I know there's a thread on obvious problems installing the new app, but I never had the same error messages they did indicating there was anything wrong with my install.)

2. With the mobile plan, you can NOT log in to boingo without the app. As I've learned with cust. service, Boingo and Boingo Mobile are two separate entities. (Boingo couldn't even find a record of my subscription until I told them it was a mobile account, then they sent me to the other people.)

3. If you're at a Boingo "partner" hotspot (ie not a Boingo hotspot, but one where you can click to connect via your Boingo account) you can't use the tablet because mobile devices can only log in via the app, not manually.

I identify with the "so close to perfect" title, but this latest Boingo issue has severely affected my tablet's perfection!