Hi All,

I am looking for a new phone (because I dropped my old one in a pool), but I also would like an internet tablet. The N810 looks awesome! If it could make phone calls and if it was unlocked, I would buy it today. However, I am trying to find a phone that has the same internet experience as the tablet, and I am hoping someone would know of such a device. I would like the phone to be unlocked, and it must be under $500. If the phone is worth it I'll spend up to $1000. Would the Nokia N95 suffice? Or should I buy the N810 and a cheap phone (under $150- unlocked). Please let me know!

Thanks

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
How about a n810 and the nokia 6555 which has 3g. You can get that for about 150 on ebay. But remember the 6555 battery life sucks on 3g

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
I was considering that. Any other suggestions?

If you want real high-speed 3G, then a true HSDPA 3G is whay you should look for. and that is what the N95 supports with american frequencies (At&T).

The Nokia 6555 on the other hand supports upto UMTS bands - which is slightly slower than HSDPA. So it all depends on what you are looking for.

When the N95-3 dropped in price, I bought one recently, and surfing on the Nokia N810 with HSDPA connectivity has been very good. I wanted HSDPA since I use Video chat a lot on my n810 (Gizmo / Google Talk client) and this is where HSDPA speeds come up as a big winner.

Also the N95 5 MP camera is really a treat for me - since I don't have to carry a pocket camera separately (just for casual photography).

But its real difficult to justify an expensive N810 and then an expensive phone like the N95 to add connectivity to it. I wish there were cheaper US 3G (HSDPA) phones from Nokia.

Could the N95 replace the N810?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by iff2mastamatt View Post
Could the N95 replace the N810?
No way!
4.13 touch screen. full keypad. 800x480 display. Portable computer.
and more than anything..... the wonderful world of opensource!

True, but I need a phone. I can buy both, but I'd rather choose one.

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
No way!
4.13 touch screen. full keypad. 800x480 display. Portable computer.
and more than anything..... the wonderful world of opensource!
fully agree. they rather complement each other

I think it will help to know what you intend to do with the N810. Just browsing? email? Media player? It is because an N95 or a nokia E series phone (they have one with a keyboard) can do those things too. If the smaller screen does not bother you. (check it out on the store). S60 phones also have a lot of software add-ons too(commercial and free). But if you intend to learn Linux or really want a mini-computer then that is different. Experience in web browsing on the N810 is a lot better though (screen and browser) but the S60 phones are not bad.

I choose to have 2 devices path for myself with N76 phone (due to smaller size) and a N810. Like the other posters said they do compliment each other.

If you're really after a good browsing experience, phone, 3G and WiFi in a single device then I'd recommend an iPhone 3G. The drawbacks of this device is that it's not open source is locked to AT&T if you live in the USA.

Personally I go with the 2 device combo as others here have recommended. My N810 works very well with my Sony Ericsson K850i phone at HSDPA speeds.