Active Topics

I got the 770 about two years ago. It was a fun while it lasted, but I eventually got an iPhone.

So I have an old 770 Internet Tablet, and I use my iPhone much more frequently as an internet tablet. If I sold the 770, I would get maybe 50 bucks, right?

So what practical use could the 770 serve for me? I'm interested in hacking it, making it into a clock or something fun.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by shrimp View Post
So what practical use could the 770 serve for me? I'm interested in hacking it, making it into a clock or something fun.
Do that! Mine now hangs in the kitchen serving as a clock, music player, and RSS news reader.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Seattle
Frontend for a Carputer?
Wireless remote for a media system?

keep it in mint condition and sell it in 20 years as a piece of fascinating history?

Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
some options:
-wireless remote to pc (vnc / rdesktop)
-bedside clock/alarm
-gift? (children will love it !)

...will think of other usages...

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Best! eBookreader! Ever!

(cheapest too)

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Do that! Mine now hangs in the kitchen serving as a clock, music player, and RSS news reader.
How do you power it, do you have charger constantly attached? Does it charge itself as needed? I was thinking about switching charger off and on when low on battery via some interface (usb in host mode perhaps) but I guess it is just too complex and not really needed (to save power).

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The charger is attached constantly. Sometimes I pull it to let the battery discharge. But I don't worry too much about the battery. My 770 has had its time as a mobile device.

Sometimes I also pull it out for reading an ebook. As Karel already noted, the 770 is the best ebook-reader ever. I fully agree!

Now that the touchscreen on mine has gone flaky, its being used primarily as a digital photo frame - its got a much better/higher res screen than darned near every dedicated frame I've seen.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
it's a good movie player for the kids while you wait at the hospital/clinic or on a road trip.

add some games like "frozen bubbles" and it will keep them quiet.

small liteweight webserver