Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
so, should one care, or just ignore?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/20/i...or-ipod-touch/

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Ignore Seems logical the iPhone targeted subdomain to be visited by iPhone holders?

well the domain was created as a reaction to the number of iphone users if i understand the article right.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
hum ... normal, us, nit user, read the real engadget, we don't need the iphone one. We have a real browser ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
hum ... normal, us, nit user, read the real engadget, we don't need the iphone one. We have a real browser ...
true, but i recall engadget being able to basically hang my N800 with javascript turned on at times.

its become much better lately tho, not sure what changes they did as the layout didnt change a bit.

but what i find really funny is that if you take away the comments, their RSS feed provides all the links and images of the main article (with the odd exception being some flash videos and galleries)...

i just wonder, is that iphone usage percentage legit, or did someone screw up the numbers?

if they are legit, then nokia and the rest really dropped the ball on mobile browsing...

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
well, i never really did the reality check on this, but engadget has a reputation of being very apple-friendly in general (=running a lot of apple-related stories, that is). if this is true, its only logical they attract a lot of apple/iphone users.

i have the same effect on my blog: even though it's more of a "me and my cat"-blog and not technical, you'll find a few stories there about something i did with GNU/linux on my desktop or a positive experience i made with my nokia internet tablet.

the result is that 64% of all mobile devices i see visiting my blog are nokia internet tablets (winCE: 13%, iPhone: 10%, series60: 10%). overall, 14% of my visitors use GNU/Linux, which of course is completely out of proportion compared to the actual market. (i have 78% windows users and 6% mac users)

so if even the few technical articles i write can cause such a bias, on a big site like engadget, an apple-friendly policy could lead to a similar effect, only much stronger.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
It seems hardly believable that N8x0 isn't listed in the mobile views list at all. There comes one important question though - how exactly are they detecting the mobile views?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
It seems hardly believable that N8x0 isn't listed in the mobile views list at all.
especially if you consider there are devices listed with 0%.

my guess is they do the same as i did when i checked for mobile devices on my site:
look at the OS in the server stats, determine what is counted as a mobile device (fixed list) and then count that in your server stats.

if they did not at one point decide that "Linux armv6l" (and armv5l) is a mobile device, the tablets will never show up. and I guess this is what happened.

on the other hand:
isnt it very flattering for NITs to be considered full-blown computers rather than encumbered mobile devices?

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Romania
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
It seems hardly believable that N8x0 isn't listed in the mobile views list at all. There comes one important question though - how exactly are they detecting the mobile views?
user-agent

Also, the standard S60 browser reports identifies itself as Safari in the UA string - since it's based on WebKit as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to chlettn For This Useful Post: