Active Topics

I'm wondering if it is possible to hack an archos 5, format it and install maemo onto it. Any ideas?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Only if you have a lot of time, patience, and a very intimate knowledge of the Archos' hardware.

In summary: Pfft.

ok... is it possible to add a bigger hdd to the n810. i know they have 64gb micro sd out now, but the cost is prohibitively high. is there a better solution to match the n810's memory to archos'?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by kmacher View Post
ok... is it possible to add a bigger hdd to the n810. i know they have 64gb micro sd out now, but the cost is prohibitively high. is there a better solution to match the n810's memory to archos'?
Strap a 1.8" hard drive to the back?

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2008 @ Charlottesville, VA
Archos has done a good job of keeping their system closed shut. There had been an exploit on an earlier firmware (late last year) for the 605 but they were quick to close that up and there is a huge lack of developers and people with the skills and/or desire to crack the machines.

I all but stopped lingering around on the Archos forums and stuck to using it for what it was built for (and, with devices like this handy, I'd suggest staying away from the 'internet plugin' - it's a hellishly slow build of Opera, which has trouble dealing with things like Flash and such).

If I were not so long-winded, the answer would echo above - no, unless you've got the patience to do it.

alas, this is disappointing. i would love the n810 and love to support open source but the storage space is killing me

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Use an external USB drive when you need it.

One user is on the verge of offering a full size SDHC slot for the N810 that will fit inside the case with a modified (and supplied) back cover. This would allow 32gb of storage now and (if you can afford it) 64gb later this year (according to reports).
See this thread:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=23205

BTW, I don't think there are 64gb micro sd cards availble - I think 8 is the largest but I could be wrong.
BTW2, you know the N810 takes miniSD (and microSD with standard adapter) but not full size SD as purchased.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I'm wondering if it is possible to hack an archos 5, format it and install maemo onto it. Any ideas?
Why? If you have an Archos 5 (which you bought primarily for media playback, right? Otherwise you'd be stupid, right?), installing OS2008 on it, if it were possible, would be a step back. Even taking into account the buggy nature of the Archos firmware.

Just keep the Archos, pay the Archos tax (I think they're now charging you rent for the physical space the device occupies in the spacetime continuum) and watch your movies at 800x480.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by dfinch View Post
BTW, I don't think there are 64gb micro sd cards availble - I think 8 is the largest but I could be wrong.
BTW2, you know the N810 takes miniSD (and microSD with standard adapter) but not full size SD as purchased.
16 is the largest ive ever seen

The Following User Says Thank You to CleverJake For This Useful Post: