Active Topics

I am writing this post a second time because my browser crashed. it will be somewhat shorter but will contain the same questions:

I have got an iPod touch. I generally like the look and feel, but it is slow. When I press the Safari or iPod icon it takes ages to start up. Once I'm in Safari and want to do more than just a quick Google search (like go on Ebay, Amazon and some other websites, all open in different tabs) it gets clunky, locks up and it always takes considerably longer to load a webpage than on my Desktop Computer. I was searching the web for used N800s today and Safari crashed 4 times because I am just 'too fast' for it.

I need a device that reacts immediately when I want to do something, I don't need fancy animations. I want a snappy UI that gives me desktop class performance for web browsing, RSS and IM.

Apart from that I also really like the fact that I can plug a keyboard into it and can download my podcasts on the go and watch my videos without converting them and, and, and...

Hope someone with experience on both devices can push me over the edge and convince me of buying an N800...

Best regards

Leon

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Burlington, ON, Canada
Go for the N800 bud.

For web browsing it's the business and the email functionality is pretty good too. It's fast and the pages are really clear on the high res screen. The NIT was built for internet browsing so does it with ease. The N800 is the best version too IMO.

The Touch is an all round MEDIA device so can be excused for it's internet lacking a bit. Can't it? I dunno.

Unless you know Linux pretty well you may get frustrated with the N800 tho. Just a warning.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Italy
I would not say that N800 reacts immediately. Web browsing is slower than on desktop, but rendering is better than other mobile devices I have tried.

Well, the iPod has a 400MhZ ARM and 128 Megas of RAM too, no swap space though I think. So it should be snappy as well. I will go to some electronics shop next weekend and try an N800 should be the same regarding software.

Also I actually really like the fact that it runs Linux, in fact my computers are 95% Microsoft free (I got one install of XP for Counter Strike) and I know my way around on Linux.

I just wrote this post on my iPod and I have to say, I'd love a bigger screen, I use it in landscape mode as often as I can anyways.

So, what do you think would be a reasonable price for a used N800 on EBay or Amazon (€)? Is there a special marketplace for these devices? Also, the killer feature for me is the alarm clock. The iPod only does beeping alarm noises No seriously, I've been wanting one of these Nokias for some months now, hope they don't drop support for the N800 too soon...

Leon

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Burlington, ON, Canada
Anything away from Microsoft is a bonus including Apple. The bigger screen is a plus yes. I doubt they'll stop supporting it that soon as they are keeping the Diablo updated regularly. So long as you want it for web browsing, email and VoIP you'll be fine. It does lots of other stuff but just not very well.

I have tested the two over the past 2 weeks side by side and for me I decided to go for an iPod Touch 2 (speaker, etc) as I get frustrated with my N800 too much. But that's a matter of choice and I think because I don't know Linux. If you do you'll be fine and will love the N800.

Originally Posted by leonbrussels View Post
No seriously, I've been wanting one of these Nokias for some months now, hope they don't drop support for the N800 too soon...

Leon
Well, the N810 is basically the same in all important aspects to the N800 that the N800 is practically guaranteed support as long as the N810, which in turn is good as long as the N810W, which isn't quite launched yet.

While it is possible they stop officially supporting it, it doesn't make any sense with the similarity, and even if they do, it'll be pretty simple to hack the latest N810 builds for the N800; the touchscreen/sound controller are different models in the same series, for example, so rebuilding the kernel with different modules could be needed; nothing big. (And who even runs the stock kernel, anyway?)

As long as there are new N810 images, there will be new N800 images, whether official or community.