Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
The infamous "5-step-plan" was, AFAIK, mentioned by some Nokia-guy when the N810 was introduced. I find a lot of references to this on google, but I don't find the original source: Who said it? When? And what was the exact wording? did it really count the N810 as "step 3" (with N800 being step 2) although both devices are almost identical both hardware- and software-wise?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Thoughtfix has the video.

It was Ari Jaaksi see below, sometime last year at an event in the US, and, yes, the N810 is step 3.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-09-16 at 13:34.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Consider that the N810 has a keyboard and built-in GPS, as well as improved screen usability. That's enough to warrant Step 3 IMO.

It was in fact Anssi Vanjoki ("Executive Vice President, Markets") at the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco last October. I can't find the exact quote, but see for example here and here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Consider that the N810 has a keyboard and built-in GPS, as well as improved screen usability. That's enough to warrant Step 3 IMO.
I hope Nokia remains aware the internal GPS leaves much to be desired...

It was one of the reasons I bought the N810 instead of the N800... I think the N800 with external keyboard is more functional than the N810 though because of the 2 SD cards. Just my feelings, can't compare 1 on 1... but the point of the GPS stands IMO, even with A-GPS.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
It was in fact Anssi Vanjoki ("Executive Vice President, Markets") at the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco last October. I can't find the exact quote, but see for example here and here.
Hehe, thought the accent didn't quite match up in my memory of the video.

I know thoughtfix posted a video of the talk somewhere, I can't seem to dig it up at the moment, though.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Thank you, it's always good to see how helpful you guys are. "Anssi Vanjoki" was the piece of information I needed, thank you.

As for the N810 being step 3: It's very strange; remember when Nokia said the N810 was a sideline rather than the next generation after the N800? So they're not only counting the steps forward, there also counting when they step aside.

Anyway, this means we're talking about small steps; I now read Thoughtfix even said the WE is step 4, so whatever comes next (soon?) will be the mysterious step 5. With these minor differences, step 5 could well be something far less spectactular than I'd hoped for. (In my world, N800/N810/N810WE were all variations of step 2, so I was prepared for something really, really big in the end.)

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Anyway, this means we're talking about small steps; I now read Thoughtfix even said the WE is step 4, so whatever comes next (soon?) will be the mysterious step 5. With these minor differences, step 5 could well be something far less spectactular than I'd hoped for. (In my world, N800/N810/N810WE were all variations of step 2, so I was prepared for something really, really big in the end.)
It's a plan with 5 steps, don't put to much stock in the size of each steps, it's just the steps we go through to get to the consumer-ready device.

No, the N810W is not step 4.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
I hope Nokia remains aware the internal GPS leaves much to be desired.
It's been well communicated within our walls.

Originally Posted by benny1967
As for the N810 being step 3: It's very strange; remember when Nokia said the N810 was a sideline rather than the next generation after the N800? So they're not only counting the steps forward, there also counting when they step aside.
In this sense it was not meant as a direct replacement, which many assumed.

But sidestepping... eh, I won't go there.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
I don't think the N810 wimax edition was the step 4, actually.