Active Topics

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I spent some time to design and animate an inspired from the current maemo.org theme mock-up with some ideas i had in mind lately. You can check them out and tell me what do you think (keep in mind that they are WiP, i just wanted to get them out before the Summit)?

http://bundyo.org/maemo/site/
http://bundyo.org/maemo/site/index2.html

The first one is more-dynamic oriented with every panel separately downloaded and controlled. There are some panel controls if you click on the title. This one is slower on a tablet (as expected )

The second one has a "dropdown breadcrumbs" kind of navigation that seems to me is easier to navigate than the normal breadcrumbs and is more flexible (hopefully). The More crumb is kind of a look-ahead one - using it i removed the side navigation completely. If that's a good idea is for you to tell me

The first one is more javascript oriented, the second one is just HTML/CSS (excluding the menu). The two are part of the whole idea, but i just wanted to test if no javascript is going to be faster.

EDIT: I should mention that it's not working in IE6 yet. It will though.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-09-18 at 04:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Pretty, but looks a little heavy for my liking, and the padding around the sides is just gross.

Cut down the js by about half (so it runs on the tablets smoothly) and we'll talk.

Ignoring the code-side of things, the theme is fantastic.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Which padding? Inside or outside?

Hi,

I agree with GeneralAntilles on the padding, does not work for me.

I did not view it on my IT so I am curious to see how it views on there.

Overall, very nice.

David

The Following User Says Thank You to harpgliss For This Useful Post:
Hi,

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post

My post was referring to the outside border you have going on.

David

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
The whitespace on either side of the content that serves no purpose but to prevent you from using screen real-estate effectively.

Yeah, i'll probably end up loading all on one pass and not relying on js that much. Overall since i've tried to do other things with js on the tablet, this one is doing kinda well...

About the padding - its resizing to a limit, so you won't loose so much space on an ITT. On a desktop is more though, but reading long rows is not that easy... maybe more colums on a desktop.

Bundyo, I LOVE the look and that cool animated menu.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Looks good

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Bundyo,

I Love the look. I admire the work that you have done and know first hand how hard it is to create a fresh look. And, then after you like it, the audience is unleashed on it sometimes attacking the very items you like most. But I guess that is the power of community and you can't make everyone happy.

Kudos!

Tags
design, html, maemo.org, mock-up