Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
A couple of very simple questions,

How do you show off your nokia?
what makes it stand out from the crowd?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
It can play my pr0n in hi-res compared to my friends with their tiny screen phones! :P

Nah, with liqbase, canola2, Duke Nukem & Quake 2.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Xournal in classes/meetings, and Deblet achievements at work :P
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
I take it out XD

nah seriously, most people aren't used to it so I get a lot of questions. for show, canola is a good idea, the web browser itself takes a few ohs and ahs, and letting people handle it while telling them how light and convenient it is, gets a whoile lot of agreement.

Xournal, except now liqbase, for note-taking. Otherwise, not so much. People just notice it without showing off.

It has occasionally served as a head unit for my bicycle's sound system -- a couple computer speakers + a battery/inverter pack in the laptop bag, N800 on the bars. That might qualify as showing off, but that's not why I do it, and I've had no comments (yet).

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
It has occasionally served as a head unit for my bicycle's sound system -- a couple computer speakers + a battery/inverter pack in the laptop bag, N800 on the bars. That might qualify as showing off, but that's not why I do it, and I've had no comments (yet).
You ride around with speakers on your bike? Why are you doing that? Are you making announcements?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Different people are impressed by different things. When I showed the X Terminal and VNC client to the sys admins here, they both went out and got one

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
You ride around with speakers on your bike? Why are you doing that? Are you making announcements?
Listening to music and cyborg navigational protocol. Just for fun (my headphones do still work, and are used more often).

That would be bizarre, seeing a guy ride by, and hearing a synthetic voice saying, “TARGET DIRECTION THREE O’CLOCK DISTANCE ONE POINT THREE KILOMETERS ETA FIFTEEN MINUTES” from handlebar speakers...

Yeah, that would be bizarre, but as long as it says "clicks" instead of "kilometers" and "minoots" instead of "minutes", all is normal and sane.

I do try to keep it at a sane personal volume (like in a car with all the windows down), so I'm not sure they'd even catch that it was a voice separate from the music. (Unless they were also on a bike, in which case they might catch it as I passed them. Most of the students here ride astonishingly slow around campus, though...)