Active Topics

Closed Thread
Updated to 9.10 but kept the old image. Is it a placebo effect, or is everything loading noticeably faster? Especially LXDE. My only complaint is that darn one-line keyboard. I just can't figure it out! However, I have printing pretty well diaied-in. I can put together a how-to if anyone is interested.

Also ended up uninstalling the default installed browsers and going with Qole's endorsement of Midori. Loads quickly and can easily print from it.

o okay thx qole for the speedy reply.

So, I keep running into an install error. The image will download, and then while untarring, I keep running into a "tar: debian-final.img.ext2: Wrote only xxx of 10240 bytes" and pretty much hangs/ crashes from there. I've tried installing twice, but came to the same issues. Previously reached 6560 and second time 2560 bytes.

Any ideas?

hey qole ur green arrow link button on ur first post doesn't work anymore..

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarflash For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by HowHH View Post
My only complaint is that darn one-line keyboard. I just can't figure it out!
Yeah, that one-line keyboard is my little "thing", it probably is quite confusing if you are someone ... who isn't me .

If you hit the "^1" key, the numbers turn into letters;

First, I chose the letters I use most often combined with "Ctrl" on the desktop. "Ctrl-z" is "undo", "Ctrl-x" is "Cut", "Ctrl-c" is "Copy", "Ctrl-v" is "Paste", "Ctrl-s" is "Save", "Ctrl-q" is "Quit", "Ctrl-w" is "Write" (or Save).

Then I put a letter I use by itself; "y" for "yes". This seems to come up a lot in the terminal.

As for "i" and "p", they're less-often used Ctrl combinations ("Ctrl-i" is used in vi for "insert" and "Ctrl-p" has several uses, including "Print"...)

If you manage to figure out how to get "Shift" and "^2" to work (it seems to involve hitting "Shift" then "^2" then "Shift" again), you get some punctuation and some other characters that come in handy.

If someone else can make a better one-line keyboard, please do! It is very simple; you edit the /home/user/.matchbox/keyboard-mini.xml, save the file, and toggle the keyboard on to test your changes. When you have a layout that you like, please post it here!

Also, I will gladly include keyboards with international layouts. There are a few examples around, but I don't have the patience or the experience to test them. If you get a keyboard layout that works for you, post it here and I'll bundle it with the next version.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Scarflash: Oops! I was clearing out all of my old .deb files (so people wouldn't download old versions), and I accidentally deleted the install button file, too!

Thanks for seeing that! Fixed!

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ South Carolina
How does one get the icons to appear at the bottom of the Debian 'tree' wallpaper screen?? Don't have access to any functions. I have installed/deleted/reinstalled multiple times with no change. Someone in a previous post had the same problem. You posted a reply with a 'fix' but it doesn't apply to me. Help. Can't use without icons.

paulmorin: I assume you are using LXDE? The default config of LXDE puts the "task bar" on the left side of the screen, not the bottom. What happens when you tap and hold on the screen?

Also, you really need to install the new image file; if you are using the old (pre-turbo) image file that used IceWM instead, things will not work correctly.

Do you get any errors when starting LXDE?

The clock in left corner isn't local time. It was in 9.6...

Last edited by tolou; 2008-10-19 at 07:28.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Yes, as I said in the beta testing phase, you can untar this tarball into a partition and use that instead.

EDIT: I read your other post more closely. You can use that method (copy everything out of the image file mounted on /debian and into a partition mounted on /opt), but don't mount the image file to /debian yourself, use "debbie" to do it for you. This way, you get the "turbo loop", which is much faster.
I'm sorry how do you use debbie to mount the image file?

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice